Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 05:54 PM

Default QJ in bb, multiway pot

I was pretty sick after betting out on the flop and immediately getting raised. I was going to fold because I thought I was probably drawing to a J since the board was paired, but everyone folded, so I called. then the turn action threw me off completly.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

River: (6.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets??
Old 11-11-2005, 06:11 PM

Default Re: QJ in bb, multiway pot

Yup. Looks like a flop tilt-inspired overcard raise. Bet/call the river.

EDIT: Actually, depending on the opponent, I might check/call the river, hoping to induce a bluff. But these days, I see so many people call one river bet with overcards that it makes betting +EV.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Re: QJ in bb, multiway pot

He's probably got overcards (hopefully not KQ). There's also some chance he had an underpair on the flop and raised for protection and to get to showdown cheaply.

The river bet seems good to me, since you may get called by AK, and the bet at least cuts into the cheap-showdown plan a little bit.

However, there are a couple of problems. The most likely underpairs on the flop are TT and 99. Villain could have checked the turn because he just made nines full, and he also could have rivered tens full.

Also, KQ is a possibility, though I think other overcard hands such as AK are more likely.

I like betting on the river and grudgingly folding if raised. (Edit: If your opponent is a LAG, though, I would check-call or bet-call, and if I'd seen him bluff-raise the river before, I would bet-call.)

Earlier in the hand: I've been getting auto-raised (at Party 5/10) too much lately for me to seriously consider folding top pair heads up versus a PFR's flop raise. (Also, if he's raising with a hand like TT, I think that's a good play, since he needs to protect that hand if it's best, and you could have a worse pocket pair.) But I've never played Stars 2/4, and maybe the flop auto-raise isn't such a trend there.