Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2003, 09:28 PM

Default Poker Odds

Can someone give me the Poker Odds? A list of them?
Old 08-31-2003, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Poker Odds

to find the easiest answer to this (and take an important step towards improving your play), ask yourself, how many cards can i catch on the next round that will win the pot for me? then divide this by the number of unseen cards in the hand, and you will have your chances of winning.

try www.twodimes.net/poker/ for a good program to analyze a matchup between two hands.
Old 08-31-2003, 09:38 PM

OK thanks for the website. I will for sure use it. But I was wondering if someone had a list of the odds.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:56 AM

i intentionally didn't give you a chart here, because you don't learn poker by memorize charts, you learn it by thinking about your question and answering it intuitively.

i'll start you out. in many situations in a typical limit hold 'em game, your flush draws will have nine outs and your open straight draws will have eight outs. given the number of unseen cards (50 - # of cards on board), you can figure out your odds of making your hand by dividing your outs by the number of unseen cards.

it shouldn't be very difficult for you to analyze the number of outs you have with a given hand, as long as you're careful not to count them twice (for example, an open end straight draw has 15 outs, not 17).

good luck. don't rely on a chart. if you don't believe me, compare the win rates of 2+2 readers to those of people who look at one of those grids of hold 'em starting hands and play them all by rote.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:53 AM

If you have a flush draw on the flop, you have 38:9 odds to make it on the turn. 38 is the number of unseen cards minus the cards that will make your hand (outs), and 9 is the amount of outs you have.

Therefore 8 outs would be 39:8 odds, 4 outs would be 43:4 odds, etc etc.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you don't learn poker by memorize charts, you learn it by thinking about your question and answering it intuitively.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing intuitive about odds. They are precisely calculated and having a chart with the calculations already done can be very useful. Memorizing basic odds has value.