Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Overcoming Mental Fatigue.

One of the major "leaks" in my game is having to quit a sesson after a few hours due to mental exhustion. I keep my concentration level high reading players, doing calcs, etc almost constantly but can't keep it up for longer than 4-5 hours at a stretch before my brain is fried and have to quit a +EV table full of fish. I read about these pros and their marathon 36 hour sessions and wonder how in the world can they do it and still maintain the mental sharpness so necessary to win? So, my question to the experienced players is what do you do to prevent mental fatigue at the table?
Old 03-15-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Overcoming Mental Fatigue.

The easiest way to overcome fatigue is to prevent it. Set a time limit and stick to it, this works wonders. I put a time limit on my play starting early last year and have not been fatigued since. My personal limit is 4 hours per day or a profit of double my buy-in, whichever comes first.

Before that I also had my longest "marathon" session of 30+ hours at the Mirage. Oddily enough that was also my biggest losing session ever.

Take a breather every now and then. The game will still be there upon return.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:16 PM

You may be concentrating on too many things, many of which do not improve your win rate very much. If you could contentrate on fewer things and only reduce you win rate by 15% but then be able to stay twice as long, you would be better off.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:46 PM

What would consider important? Note: I play mostly B&M.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:56 PM

Job #1 - have fun!

Among mental activities common in a poker game, generally stress is much more wearing than concentration and calculation. So I think the key is to enjoy yourself and manage your thoughts to be optimistic and to focus on the future. Waste no time analyzing what just happened, and don't think about how much you're up or down beyond conforming to preset guidelines about stop-loss limits you set going in. Above all, don't get upset about bad beats and missed opportunities.

Beyond that, take frequent breaks, pamper yourself physically (i.e., eat great food, splurge on expensive coffee if available, wear comfortable clothes, etc.), avoid alcohol, consume moderate but steady amounts of stimulants (again good coffee comes in here - FYI, the Gold Srike in Tunica, next door to the Horseshoe, offers Starbucks coffee and latte and mocha).

Also, I'm in the minority on this among my friends, but I like to keep detailed records so I can review and analyze everything afterwards. This seems to help me focus on the future and present, because if somethng I did or something that happened bothers me a little (or was so good that I'm inclined to waste time gloating over it), all I have to do is make a note of it and I can dismiss from my mind for the present, knowing that I'll analyze it in detail the next day.

I love pulling 24's when gambling. I just get into a groove and after 6-8 hours I'm almost on autopilot and can just go on forever, at the top of my form.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:19 AM

I hear you John. I play a Sunday MTT with around 100 players, when I make the final table it's 5 hours of intense concentration. Stand up and away from the table occasionally, drink plenty of water and if your on a marathon stretch make sure you stop to eat when nyour hungry