Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 09:14 PM

Default Flopped quads: Question about my river play...

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $0.25 BB (8 handed) converter

Hero ($38.35)
CO ($9)
Button ($25.70)
SB ($16.35)
BB ($71.50)
UTG ($24.95)
UTG+1 ($27.30)
MP1 ($5.60)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.25.

Flop: ($2.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($2.50) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.5</font>, SB folds, BB calls $0.50, UTG calls $0.50, MP1 folds.

River: ($4) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $1.75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4.25</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $6.75</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $13.25</font>, UTG calls $6.50.

Final Pot: $30.50

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has Ah As 9c 4c (full house, aces full of kings).

Outcome: Hero wins $30.50. </font>

Should I have gone for the jugular as soon my opponent raised me?

I didn't have any reason to put him on AA (I thought a smaller boat or even a bluff seemed more likely), and I wanted a decent payoff.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Flopped quads: Question about my river play...

I bet a little more on the turn. At that limit, if people are going to stay with you, they'll do so for more money.

I think give where you were on the river, you played it fine. You got some more money in and since he just called, I'd wonder how much further the guy would be willing to go. You can't put the guy on aaxx the way he played it so I think you wouldn't necessarily make more money given what the guy was likely to have and how he plays. I'm actually surprised he didn't push it given his hand. He's obviously a somewhat soft player. The most important thing you can have done by the time a hand like this comes around is to know your opponent and his tendencies so you can best guess how to maximally extract money from him in the current hand.

If you'd gotten more into the pot by the river, you'd probably have been able to eke out more money because bets would be proportionally similar relative to the size of the pot.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:22 PM

I raise the max on the river. His reraise has me thinking AA or a bluff. If it's a bluff he won't pay you off anyone, but if has AA he will call anything, but may not put in another raise.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:11 PM

Despite what anybody tells you, it's impossible to gauge exactly how much bet when you value bet or value raise on the river unless you have a decent read.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:31 AM

There's no point getting cute with your raises on the river. Raise the pot. Your second re-raise should be able to put him all in.