Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 02:17 PM

Default A10o in middle position- what to do?

I usually play 6-max games on Party, 400 and above, but I've been playing the big tourneys lately. Last night there were 55 players left and it was folded to me in 6th position with A10o. I had just sat down and had about 12BB's. Is a push the correct line or raise to about 2.5BB's correct?
Old 11-29-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Re: A10o in middle position- what to do?

I would push.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:52 PM

i would raise with the intention of calling a push. 2.5x is fine.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would raise with the intention of calling a push. 2.5x is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that you don't want to fold to a reraise is most cases.

A hand like this you can push or raise with. A very strong or weak hand, you should probably just raise with.

When you raise 2.5xBB, it looks like you will fold to a reraise. So that kind of raise seems better if you either want to be reraised or you will fold to a reraise.

It's OK to just make that your standard raise at this stack size, but it is also OK to open push or limp in some situations.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is a push the correct line or raise to about 2.5BB's correct?

[/ QUOTE ]
I like the 2.5BB line, especially if there's someone behind you who habitually resteals with air or if the people behind you are very tight.

The range of hands that a (good) restealer calls a push with is probably a 2:1 favorite against ATo. However, ATo is probably at least an 11:9 favorite over the range with which the restealer will jam if he senses weakness. I'll take that action.

Also, if the players behind you are very tight and almost never resteal, you can raise 2.5BB and still get folds from them more than enough times to make the 2.5BB play +EV. And if one of the tighties jams, you can fold and still have a decent push/fold stack.

Edit: and if someone calls, flop two pair. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is a push the correct line or raise to about 2.5BB's correct?

[/ QUOTE ]
I like the 2.5BB line, especially if there's someone behind you who habitually resteals with air or if the people behind you are very tight.

The range of hands that a (good) restealer calls a push with is probably a 2:1 favorite against ATo. However, ATo is probably at least an 11:9 favorite over the range with which the restealer will jam if he senses weakness. I'll take that action.

Also, if the players behind you are very tight and almost never resteal, you can raise 2.5BB and still get folds from them more than enough times to make the 2.5BB play +EV. And if one of the tighties jams, you can fold and still have a decent push/fold stack.

Edit: and if someone calls, flop two pair. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone reraises, they are either putting you allin or not folding to a push.

I don't know if you are ahead of a typical reraising hand, but you have a pot odds call.

If someone flat calls, I would push most flops.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you are ahead of a typical reraising hand, but you have a pot odds call.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, but only against someone who has a modicum of "gamble." Say a tight, very ABC-ish player in the BB puts you all-in. The pot contains 1.5 BB (the blinds) + 2.5 BB (your raise) + 12 BB (his call + his jam) = 16 BB. So, you're getting 16:9.5 or something like 1.7:1. Against a tight player (and I'm assuming about the loosest range a "tight player" can have here: 77+,AJs+,KQs,AJo+,KQo) ATo is a 1.8:1 dog. Against the archetypal nit, you'll be an even worse dog.

Widen that range somewhat, and I'm gamboolin' with those pot odds.

Also, I was kind of kidding with that two-pair line: I too am jamming lots of flops if it gets checked to me (or I'm first to act).