Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2005, 05:58 AM

Default OT: STTs vs MTTs

As some of you know, I've been away from STTs for the most part for about 3 months now. I just started playing them sporadically and while still successful (small sample size) I have noticed that the games (22s) do not seem quite as soft as they used to be. I don't have any hard data, but it certainly seems that there are more players hanging around in level 4, for example.

Another thing that I've noticed is a very large amount of players making mini-raises from say level 3 on when they are UTG. Perhaps they've noticed that your typical good player does not call many raises?

Anyway, mostly just to get a break from SNGs, I recently started playing MTTs. (I have long been playing cash games in order to mix things up.)

I guess the purpose of this post is to generate a bit of discussion. I think that the pendulum might be swinging away from STTs as the 'easiest' way to make poker money. I have found that the play in MTTs is generally horrible and that my STT experience has come in very handy. Again, small sample size, but I have cashed in 4 out of 5 MTTs ($11 - $33 buy ins) played, just making my first final table and taking home $430 for a 3rd place finish in a lowly $5 speed tourney.

Has anyone else noticed that a) STT players seem to be getting a bit better and b) that cash games and / or MTTs might be the wave of the future for us?