Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Negreanu Challenges Sklansky

A quote from Daniel Negreanu ;

DanielNegreanu
Professional Poker Player
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sun, May 1st, 2005 10:44

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sklansky won't play me, that I'm pretty sure of. David is a smart man and knows that the losing won't be good for his image. I've left a long list of possible games to choose from and he picked one that wasn't on the list.

I do expect to see other top players play me, but not David. He doesn't play for that kind of money and I truly feel like he has to much to loose, especially if I beat him in every discipline.

If he felt like it wasn't worth his time, I'd throw him a bone and lay him 1.10 on any of the matches. He can pick the game, the mix of games, and the amount. I would then come up with the ante structure which seems pretty fair if you ask me.

Again, Sklansky would never accept this match, but I'm sure some other high limit players would. Of course I'd only offer the 1.10 to David.

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

A quote from Daniel today in his forum. No one had mentioned David in the thread, so we were wondering how David got brought into the discussion.

Also, I thought David had said he would play Stud hi/lo against Daniel if there weren't any special rules that Daniel would include to give himself an advantage. Stud hi/lo is on Daniel's list of games he would accept.I am confused why Daniel said David picked a game not on the list.....

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Negreanu openly mocks Sklansky

David said this...

[ QUOTE ]
I could be mistaken here but it seems like the Wynn is not going to take the big games away from the Bellagio. That's not good for Daniel, both because I believe he was expected to bring some of those games there and because I believe he pledged not to play anywhere in Vegas but the Wynn.

If I am right about the above, his challenge makes a lot of sense, even if he might be a small underdog in a few spots. Give up a tiny bit of EV to get some action down to his place.

As for me, I have little headup experience. In spite of that, a 100K freezout in stud hi-lo with no qualifier (his list didn't stipulate a qualifier) and a smallish ante is a game I ought to be a favorite in. But still not enough to make it worth my risk and time. Unless he can also get good TV and media coverage. If he can, I think he's got me

[/ QUOTE ]

David said Stud hi low with no qualifier.
Appearently Daniel meant stud 8.

-Travis
Old 05-02-2005, 05:33 PM

I see what your saying, but if you look at Daniel's original thread, he just says Stud hi/lo, not anything else. Which to a reasonable person would mean, no qualifier. To say.."oh yeah, there's a qualifier" after the fact is a little slippery, if you ask me.
I am new to this, but I have been reading alot and someone posted on here that Daniel use to be famous for offering a huge bet, and when someone called him on it, he had an extra little thing to throw in that wasn't in the original bet to give himself an advantage.
As i said I am new, I frequent Daniel's blog and he seems okay to me and obviously I own a few books of Sklanckys' and I really respect his writings. So, I am just curious in watching as this unfolds
Old 05-02-2005, 05:38 PM

Anyone who takes David's refusal to take up Daniel's offer as a sign of David's poker skill or aptitude is making a huge mistake in judgement. Wow that sounded like a real 2+2 sentance.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see what your saying, but if you look at Daniel's original thread, he just says Stud hi/lo, not anything else. Which to a reasonable person would mean, no qualifier. To say.."oh yeah, there's a qualifier" after the fact is a little slippery, if you ask me.
I am new to this, but I have been reading alot and someone posted on here that Daniel use to be famous for offering a huge bet, and when someone called him on it, he had an extra little thing to throw in that wasn't in the original bet to give himself an advantage.
As i said I am new, I frequent Daniel's blog and he seems okay to me and obviously I own a few books of Sklanckys' and I really respect his writings. So, I am just curious in watching as this unfolds

[/ QUOTE ]

I am reasonable, but I have only seen stud hilo played with a qualifier. I would naturally assume that stud hilo means there is a qualifier.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:41 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
I see what your saying, but if you look at Daniel's original thread, he just says Stud hi/lo, not anything else. Which to a reasonable person would mean, no qualifier. To say.."oh yeah, there's a qualifier" after the fact is a little slippery

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on when is the last time youve seen ANY hilo game with no qualifier??
Old 05-02-2005, 05:45 PM

I changed the heading from ..Negreanu openly mocks Sklansky to...Negreanu challenges Sklansky... because i felt it was in poor taste to say Daniel was mocking David....
Although he did say he could better him at every discipline and he also said he would give him, and only him, a handicap...so to someone with Sklansky's stature, it really is mocking him..i just didnt want to fan the flame harder than i already did.... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Negreanu Challenges Sklansky

I don't know what is with himn lately. But there have been a lot of prick type comments coming from Daniel the last couple months.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree.
Daniel also didn't stipulate a qualifier for the high hand in hold'em. He also didn't go into the rules of each game. Saying whether or not there would be pitching, declaring or buying. Most "reasonable people" though, would not expect DN to say
Hold'em high with no qualifier(and so forth)
Old 05-02-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see what your saying, but if you look at Daniel's original thread, he just says Stud hi/lo, not anything else. Which to a reasonable person would mean, no qualifier.

[/ QUOTE ]
To a reasonable person in 2005, stud hi/lo means stud/8 (and omaha hi/lo means omaha/8). Interpreting it otherwise is just as reasonable as saying that you assumed that "stud" meant five card stud.