Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 05:07 PM

Default AA vs Shortstack - purposely weak?

Villain in this hand has just over 4BB in front of him. Preflop he is slightly loose and very passive at 30/3 over a smallish sample. I have seen him donkbet several times on the flop from the blinds when facing a possible steal. I have never seen him showdown however, so I am not positive on its meaning.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

After this donkbet, I decided that I wanted to get as much of his money in the pot as possible, and I can't imagine folding my hand at any point. I don't know if this was a good plan or not.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>

After this check on the river, I am fairly confident that he would fold any bluff/busted draw, and check-raise anything else to put his last 1.5BB in the pot.

Given the scenario, did I misplay my hand? Was the river bet OK (I don't know if this is as easy as at first glance)?
Old 09-29-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: AA vs Shortstack - purposely weak?

[ QUOTE ]
After this donkbet, I decided that I wanted to get as much of his money in the pot as possible, and I can't imagine folding my hand at any point. I don't know if this was a good plan or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm ok with letting him off the hook on the flop since the pot's still small, but I'd be inclined to pop him on the turn. He's short-stacked, and therefore unlikely to be going anywhere, and I'd like my money in before the third flush card falls.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:17 PM

I think in this short stack situation with I am going to try to get him all in no matter what the board looks like. Often these shortstacked players are looking to blow there $$$ and leave the table.

I would raise the turn. He has 1.5BB left? He will call with anything here. Waiting for the river gives him a chance to fold if he has nothing.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:20 PM

I think you have to at least raise the turn here to charge him the max if he is on a draw as there are quite a few hands he could have with a lot of outs against you. This board is too dangerous to slowplay in my opinion and he's not paying you off on the river with a missed draw.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:22 PM

I agree with popping the turn. Most players in that situation (note how stupid they are just to be there) will grow attached to having committed half their stack, and will see the river with any 2 hoping to hit a pair.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you have to at least raise the turn here to charge him the max if he is on a draw as there are quite a few hands he could have with a lot of outs against you. This board is too dangerous to slowplay in my opinion and he's not paying you off on the river with a missed draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point about the missed draw. I'm not sure if a player like this is capable of betting a draw, but yes its very possible. Does popping the turn make him fold his low pairs and underpairs?
Old 09-29-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does popping the turn make him fold his low pairs and underpairs?

[/ QUOTE ]

It really depends on the player in my opinion. He might think you're raising with a draw and he also may shove the rest of his stack in thinking you are a bully. A small pocket pair is more likely to fold than someone who paired the board as he has trip/2-pair outs. Then again some players never fold pocket pairs regardless of the board [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does popping the turn make him fold his low pairs and underpairs?

[/ QUOTE ]

It really depends on the player in my opinion. He might think you're raising with a draw and he also may shove the rest of his stack in thinking you are a bully. A small pocket pair is more likely to fold than someone who paired the board as he has trip/2-pair outs. Then again some players never fold pocket pairs regardless of the board [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I think I agree. Popping the turn would have been correct here.

I like this play here by Button

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (13.33 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (12.66 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (18.66 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 21.66 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Kd Kc (two pair, kings and fives).
CO has 7h 7s (full house, sevens full of fives).
Button has 2s 2c (two pair, fives and twos).
Outcome: CO wins 21.66 BB. </font>
Old 09-29-2005, 06:43 PM

i like the flop call, but im railing him on the turn, hell stack off most of the time so you shouldnt worrying about maxing bets against him...
cdl