Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 04:59 PM

Default Great Laydown?

I'm still trying to make sense of this one....

A friend of mine was in a single table satellite tournament (I wasn't there, he told me the story and didn't get into too much detail, so this is all i've got...). Early on, he had no cards and didn't play any hands at all for the first 3 orbits. Finally, he gets KK and raised 3X BB UTG and the table folds around. He then thinks they may have him pegged as tight are giving his raises too much respect, so he raises 3X BB from MP with A7os two hands later and the table again folds.

A few hands later, he's in MP and finds AKs. Since his raises weren't getting callers, he decides to limp. 4 others limp to the flop. Flop comes A K 5 rainbow. UTG bets the minimum, my friend reraises to 4XBB, the 2 players to act after him fold, and the original bettor goes into the tank for 5 minutes, then folds, mucking A5 face up.

So here's what I'm having trouble with:
1. How the hell did he know his 2 pair were no good? Or was it just a weak laydown that turned out to be correct?
2. How should my friend have played that differently, aside from not limping PF?

The only thing I can think of is that he was unsure of his 2 pair being good and didn't want to chance it on a small pot. I don't see how he could put him on AK, AA, KK or 55, and it would have been about 20% of his stack to call. Barring a great read I would have reraised there, putting my opponent on AQ, AJ or AT (is that correct?). I don't see how he laid that hand down...can anyone educate me?
Old 12-14-2004, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Great Laydown?

Maybe your friend has a really bad poker face? Otherwise I don't know why the A5 guy would fold right there.

Cheers,

Swede
Old 12-14-2004, 05:12 PM

That's a weak lay down. Your friend should have probably waited until the turn to bet out with no flush draw/oesd though.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:20 PM

Friend looks down, cards are facing up, opps. Barring that I can't see how this guy is loose enough to play A5os utg and fold a two pair flop? He could have missed that he caught two pair and thought he had a weak ace only, Strange.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:25 PM

HAHA! That's why I was thinking. I've never seen him play, but he said he tried to make it look like he wasn't overly keen on his hand while his opponent was in the tank. I bet the dope oversold it and his opponent picked up on that.

I didn't want to include that in my original post....

That being said, If you're his opponent, what do you do? Reraise, reraise all in or call? calling seems terrible....
Old 12-14-2004, 05:30 PM

I actually considered that, but he was in the tank for 5 minutes, he HAD to have known he caught 2 pair.

It's situations like these that make me start questioning things. Here I am thinking I'm making progress and am finally starting to understand this damn game, then something like this comes up and I'm not yet secure enough in my understanding to dismiss it as stupid, then I go into a panic because I think there is something I'm missing. It sounds like it was just a weak play that happened to be correct.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:56 PM

Two possibilities come to mind:

1) he needs a new prescription; or
2) he was cheating