Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2004, 06:25 PM

Default TT: Value betting or mere chip spewery?

This was an early afternoon Party jackpot table. Reads are long since forgotten. Comments on each street appreciated.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: bdk3clash is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">bdk3clash 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (16 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">bdk3clash bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">bdk3clash bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 folds, CO calls $1 (All-In), Button calls.

River: (13.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="CC3333">bdk3clash bets</font>...
Old 09-11-2004, 06:32 PM

Default Re: TT: Value betting or mere chip spewery?

chyip spewery, middle pair wont win you anything with 4 players in the pot.... [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2004, 07:35 PM

I think you played it ok.

you can make a case for checking the turn, because you picked up a gutshot and getting raised = not good. but with the aggression youve shown so far the K might be a good card for you.

once you dont get popped on the turn I think betting the river is mandatory, if you check a better hand is betting and you are calling. So you might as well bet yourself and just pray
Old 09-11-2004, 07:45 PM

I give up on the turn. I don't think you're getting called in 4 places without a single jack out there.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:52 PM

Before you even get to the chip-spewery, this is something I always find tricky. You have TT in the SB or BB and someone in LP raises.

3-bet? Cold call?

Fold?

JJ is a clear 3-bet IMO. But should you always 3-bet TT? What if you have no read?
Old 09-11-2004, 07:57 PM

All those limpers are begging me to make them pay 2 cold or fold, either of which is probably a good thing for me. Plus, seeing whether the raiser caps or not preflop is pretty helpful. So that's why I 3-bet.

I don't always, like if there's a tight EP raiser and a bunch of cold-callers. I dunno, it depends.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Before you even get to the chip-spewery, this is something I always find tricky. You have TT in the SB or BB and someone in LP raises.

3-bet? Cold call?

Fold?

JJ is a clear 3-bet IMO. But should you always 3-bet TT? What if you have no read?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont see an issue with the 3 bet here he is more likely ahead of a LP raiser and it give early limpers the chance to fold, ideally you want to play 10's against fewer players.

After that I play the hand the same maybe a J is out there but he hasnt told me and this flop there are flush and straight potential there for these guys to hang around. To me betting is better than check calling.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:31 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

being that I probably wouldn't overcall the river, I wouldn't bet. I agree with Alobar that you'd rather check so you can see the river for one bet.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I give up on the turn. I don't think you're getting called in 4 places without a single jack out there.

[/ QUOTE ]
Out of the question. He has outs.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:58 AM

I coldcall preflop against most opponents. I don't see a lot of value in this raise:

1. We will be dominated quite often and it will often cost double when we are.

2. TT is simply not that strong a hand. Yes it has lots of equity against loose limpers, but here you are out-of-position against a big field that includes a known strong hand.

3. Special issue: Cutoff is running out of chips. The extra dollar you are getting from him now doesn't mean anything if he would have put it in on the turn anyway.

But the biggest reason to just call is you really cut down on you postflop options. Did you really want to bet this flop? Isn't this an ideal hand to go for the checkraise? Your 3-bet could easily have lost the pot.

Having reraised, the flop bet is normal.

There is a lot to be said for check-calling the turn.

I suppose you should bet the river. Yuck.