Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 11:56 AM

Default How do you play AKo in this spot?

Doing this from memory..
Early of a low buy-in (5$ I believe) Bodog tournament
Blinds are 15/30
All stacks similar, close to 1000
No real read on anyone, moved to table recently.

Dealt AK in MP, folded to me and I make it 100 to go, hijack calls, BB minraises to 170 I believe. A minraise with just me as original raiser could mean a lot to me, but he is minraising with another caller here. It doesn't seem like he is scared, and it seems like he wants to build the pot up betting as little as possible. I reraise to about 290 for information/to possibly isolate, hijack folds, and BB pushes. I fold, putting myself at -at best- a coinflip.

And it really pains me to do so in a low buy-in bodog tournament.

It is a low buy-in tournament on Bodog, and there are so many complete donks that it can often mean -anything-. I obviously try to give players I have no read on credit in any tournament I am playing, but is it worth folding the AKo here in a small donk-filled tournament? Is it right to pass up on this spot? I very rarely fold AK preflop in low buy-in tournaments, but the minraise into raiser+caller and push screamed strength. I later saw he is capable of doing the same thing with AQo, and I can't discount he wouldn't do same with AJo but even having that read does it broaden his range enough to call? Should I just blindly push into minraiser showing strength with a caller on hijack? Just call minraise and not know anything as to where I stand? I think I took the right line, but am I just giving players in these too much credit?
Old 09-21-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: How do you play AKo in this spot?

definitely not what you want to do with Ako..

in the early stages you shuuldn't 3 bet with it, unless you're pushing.. you want to try and keep the pot small until you actually have a hand..

And, your re-re-raise was FAR too small... a raise to 100, it gets bumped to 170, and you make it 290? that's absolutely nothing... you have to be expecting him to push there no matter what he's raising with. If you're going to reraise a push is your only option, you only have 900 left.. and the bet is nearly 200 now.

Either push PF, or call and fold to a non AK board.