Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Hello! I think this was an tough one - life is unfair

7 Card Stud High ($20/$40), Ante $2, Bring-In $5 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (2.85 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (4.85 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls

River - (8.85 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks

Total pot: (8.85 BB)

Results:
Main Pot: $351 | Rake: $3
Old 08-13-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Hello! I think this was an tough one - life is unfair

fold 3rd
fold 4th

did u have a read on this guy?
Old 08-13-2005, 06:20 PM

he had the last few 3s and 5s for the wheel

amiriteorwhat
Old 08-13-2005, 06:39 PM

I agree with El Tigre that you should fold both 3rd and 4th.

Limping on 3rd would be reasonable if your straight outs and your kicker were live, not only clubs. Even then, you might want to fold to a completion (not necessarily to a completion from a four, of course).

Once he catches the suited ace on 4th you really have to fold. Spades are live so he could very well have a 4-flush - you’re a dog; he could have aces up - you’re drawing close to dead; he could have a bigger buried pair - you’re a dog; or he could have just 4s with one or two over cards - he’s a (small) dog.
Too many ways you can be behind.

I can’t figure out what the raise on 6th means. If he had something decent on 5th, he should have known to check-raise or bet out; I, at least, wouldn’t be willing to risk giving a free card on 6th. Both the straight and trip deuces are improbable. What the hell - I’d call it down too. What am I missing?
Old 08-13-2005, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Hello! El Tigre and Roland

what if I told you I saw this player involved in the following hand just a few minutes earlier

7 Card Stud High ($20/$40), Ante $2, Bring-In $5 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (1.45 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls

5th Street - (2.73 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (4.73 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises

River - (8.73 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets___calls

Total pot: (12.73 BB)

Results:
Main Pot: $506 | Rake: $3

Seat 1: [ 2c 2h Ac Qd Kc 7d Th ] [ a pair of twos -- Ac,Kc,Qd,2c,2h ]

Seat 5: [ 6h Tc 6d Td 4h 5h 3h ] [ two pairs, tens and sixes -- Tc,Td,6h,6d,5h ]

See where I'm going with this? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2005, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Hello! El Tigre and Roland

Yeah - that’s definitely a reason to call him down on 6th and 7th.
But I think 4th is a fold nevertheless. Even maniacs have real hands once in a while.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:29 PM

dude, you've got to be able to fold hands like these on 3rd. Calls like these are the types of plays that the tight asses will make money off of in this structure.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

dude, you've got to be able to fold hands like these on 3rd. Calls like these are the types of plays that the tight asses will make money off of in this structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually I would agree. I intentionally left out the very thing that Tigre was wondering, which was my read on this guy. The previous hand I posted was one of many where this player was waaay to aggressive with small pairs.

I won this hand - villan started with Q-4-4.

This hand shows why poker cannot always be reduced to showndown odds calculations and the like. I was very confident on my read, and so I had no trouble playing it with my mere 5s and dead str8 cards.

Or, I'm a fish. I'll let you guys decide [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2005, 01:28 AM

Well, I'm glad you won, but you should still fold on third. You have a dinky split pair with a dead kicker and the whole field to act behind you. With the stupid $2 ante, you can afford to sit around and wait for a hand. If you click the wrong button the first pass, fold to the completion. With the completely live three-flush, I don't think that the call on fourth is that bad, especially since it closes the action.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:31 PM

Why not just wait until you are in a more dominate situation since it seems like he will play you off when you have a decent hand, I see no reason to get in a pissing contest with your opponent here with such a marginal hand.

Maybe I have been thinking about this the wrong way, but against bad players I like to wait till I have a bigger edge and avoid pushing more marginal situations and against good players I have to push my smaller edges?