Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Strange bring-in hand

7 Card Stud High ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.50 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (1.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street - (0.70 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street - (4.70 BB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks

River - (4.70 BB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets

Total pot: (6.70 BB)

Situations like these are really hard for me since I never know how hard to push and when to hit the breaks. My notes say that Villan in hand is very Agg on 3rd and 4th when starting with a medium pair or better.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Strange bring-in hand

On 5th, since Seat 1 folded to his bet, what do you think about calling here, and betting into him/raising on 6th?
Old 06-16-2005, 03:47 PM

I agree Greenage,
No point in raising here (5th) because the other guy folded.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:16 PM

I think you are right about not raising 5th - the thing was I wanted to win the pot right there since pretty much any card villan catches on 6th is a scare card for me and I am going to have to hit the brakes. Do you still bet/raise 6th after villan catches the 8 :spade? What cards to you bet there assuming I don't improve?
Old 06-16-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree Greenage,
No point in raising here (5th) because the other guy folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jon, this would be a bad spot to raise to force someone out I think. this pot is tiny. We'd be putting in $40 into a pot that had $17 prior to villains bet. As Beta said, any card his opponent catches is going to suck for him, probably not a bad place to fold????? Weak tight?
Old 06-16-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you are right about not raising 5th - the thing was I wanted to win the pot right there since pretty much any card villan catches on 6th is a scare card for me and I am going to have to hit the brakes. Do you still bet/raise 6th after villan catches the 8 :spade? What cards to you bet there assuming I don't improve?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your notes indicate that Seat 8 is very aggro on 3rd/4th with a medium pair or better?

Since he was passive on those streets then he more likely has a small pair or flush/straight-flush draw?

So he couldn’t have tripped up yet, and any flush draw is dead. Maybe he has a gutshot straight and a pair, or maybe he’s betting his small pair + overcards on 5th?

I don’t play this high but think betting into him on 6th may be a way to go. I don’t see how he can raise your board unless he’s got the straight/flush.

Scary hand.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:08 PM

I think calling 5th is probably best. Trying to win the pot right there and then is a good idea… Problem is people like calling a lot better than folding, so it usually doesn’t work. What do you think he’s betting? Maybe he started with 89T; maybe with a flush draw that contained a ten; maybe treys in the hole or something. Who knows?
I don’t see why there are so many cards that would scare you on 6th. The only really scary card is a jack, I think. (T89QTJ…) What other cards would scare you? I would call if he bets and bet if he checks.
The way it played out though, I can really see a fold on the river. Is he going to bet one pair here? I can’t imagine. That said, I’d probably call too in the heat of the battle.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:11 PM

....did you misread what I said?
Old 06-17-2005, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only really scary card is a jack

[/ QUOTE ]

How is the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on 6th at least not as scary as a J?? I agree with you about the river fold - I just kind of wanted to see what he had for the future [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only really scary card is a jack

[/ QUOTE ]

How is the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on 6th at least not as scary as a J?? I agree with you about the river fold - I just kind of wanted to see what he had for the future [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

And what would that be? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]