Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2004, 10:54 AM

Default 2+2 Book Club Discussion (Beginners)

In the Books/Software forum, we're moving on to the second book in the Book Club (the first was Theory of Poker). MEbenhoe is going to start preparing to lead a discussion on SSH -- in the meantime, I'm going to do a discussion on a beginner's limit book. There's a poll right now to see which book people would prefer to cover -- WLLH by Jones or ITH by Hilger. The discussion will start roughly around next Friday or Saturday, with a schedule being announced in a day or two, once people have had a chance to vote.

Beginning poker players would be especially suited to dive into this book discussion, as it will be aimed at that level -- whereas the SSH discussion will definitely be an intermediate discussion.

Anyway, I hope you check it out.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:36 AM

Default Re: 2+2 Book Club Discussion (Beginners)

How is this going to work?

BTW -- just curious: I've read SSH and re-read several chapters a few times, and just got WLLH from the library. I've tried reading it but can't seem to find much of value. Are there any specifics sections you'd recommend reading in WLLH, after one has read SSH, TOP, and about a billion posts here?

Rob
Old 10-09-2004, 12:00 PM

I can tell, just from your posts, that you are beyond WLLH.

It is a good book for the very beginner, but SSH is way beyond it.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any specifics sections you'd recommend reading in WLLH, after one has read SSH, TOP, and about a billion posts here?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

In all honesty, WLLH and ITH are directed at beginners that are far worse players than you are (the fact that you're just moving up to 1/2 baffles me, as you are clearly capable of beating 2/4 or 3/6 -- so far I'm doing fine at them and I know you can beat me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). However I think a discussion of the books is worthwhile... anything that makes you think about your game critically is good, IMO.

I think WLLH and ITH are books I'd give to a person who knows how to play poker from home games and TV but doesn't know winning strategy.

The discussion will probably focus more on beginner strategy. But I'm sure that we'll also get into some criticisms of the advice in the books at times, as you should with any book. So even if you're beyond that very beginner stage, it'd be helpful to the discussion if you followed along. And since none of us are experts, I'm sure there's still a lot to be learned from WLLH/ITH, even if SSH is fairly widely agreed to be easily the best of the three.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:05 PM

WLLH is the book I started with. At this point, I think you'll get the most out of thinking about how your game differs from the tactics espoused by Jones and why. It may be akin to standing in front a fun house mirror, but anything that helps you look at yourself in a slightly different way is worth a few hours of your life, no?
Old 10-09-2004, 04:40 PM

I cut my teeth on WLLH as well. It's definatly a solid read for someone who's never studied poker before, and I loan it out to beginners, but you're not going to have any epiphanies while reading it. Well, with the possible exception of "wow, I play better than this."
Old 10-09-2004, 05:16 PM

I think WLLH is great beginner book. WLLH teaches a very simple style that helps a new player beat weak competition. This builds confidence and nice foundation for playing diciplined and conservative poker.

SSH teaches a very challenging but ultimately more mathematically sound style that can beat much better competition however can be very costly and ego crushing if poorly applied.