Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2004, 04:58 PM

Default 5/5 AA hand

5/5 at LC, 8 or 9 handed.

I get AA in MP+3 and I open raise to 25. CutOff calls, BigBlind Calls.Both are solid players.
me($2,000)
cutoff($700)
BB($1,000)

flop: 557, two spades. pot(~75)

BB checks, I bet 50, CutOff raises to 150, BB raises to 300, what's your action?

Some Info:
I never Noticed the CO getting out of line on previous hands, except when he posted a raise blind to make it a kill pot, then got carried awayed in the hand and bluffed away quite a bit.

The BB played pretty straight forward as well. One hand that I was thinking about while making my decision was when he check raised quite a bit with about 4 players in the hand from the SB with top pair and straight draw on a ragged flop.
Although in that situation he was making the first raise, not the re-raise.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:05 PM

Default Re: 5/5 AA hand

:bag: o.k. fold
Old 11-15-2004, 05:07 PM

pretty easy fold with the stacks that deep.
the reraiser almost has to have A5,54, or 65. And those are all playable (well A5s) with those stacks.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:20 PM

saw mine and changed your mind? lol
Old 11-15-2004, 05:27 PM

Hah - yeah re-read his post as well, the two things that got me to change it...

> Both are solid players.
> I never Noticed the CO getting out of line on previous hands
> The BB played pretty straight forward as well.

I think the biggest problem he faces is both of them can probably put him on a hand, and if either of them caught a good enough piece of this flop to beat an overpair then they will call his all-in.

For future reference I just want to say I try to post a lot in this forum since this is the direction I want to take my game, I want to start thinking in this mode while I still play at the lower levels ($100 / $200 max) - so I apologize if I give bad advice, I am still learning.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:55 PM

I'm not too concerned with the CO hand he looks like some med PP. I'm just wondering what the BB could have in this spot. Would he call with A5s or something like that? Could he make this raise with a big flush draw? You also have to consider he could have a hand like 99 also.

This type of raise really looks like he wants you to fold not call. I'm mulling this one over and I think it comes to this. If I think he would call a raise with 5x in the BB I'm folding, if I think he wouldn't I'm getting all my chips in the middle. His raise looks like he wants you to fold so I'm leaning towards no 5 so I think I get all the chips in the middle now. I don't want any scare cards on the turn killing my action.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:06 PM

If you can't lay down AA on a paired board after a raise and a reraise by two solid players, when can you lay it down? Do you think somebody's putting in 300 dollars out of a 1k stack on a bluff? If they were, why not put more chips in to push out AA? Unless you're dealing with two overpairs by players who both decided to just call with JJ QQ or KK, all of this action indicates you're beat. And if they're conservative enough to smoothcall with a high pocket pair preflop, they're also aware that they may not have the best hand with all that action on the flop, so you wouldn't have faced those bets in the first place. It's very hard to imagine you're winning in this situation.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:22 PM

First of all a low paired board againsts 2 reasonable players is gold with AA in my opinion. So unless one of them flopped a FH with 77 I like my hand.

Okay what does the preflop action and the flop betting say to you?

As far as I can tell the CO's raise says, "I can beat AK", and the BB's re-raise says "I've got a 5, really I do, so like fold and stuff". If any of them have 77's or any 5 I would think they would play it a little slower. The raise from the BB puts tons of pressure on our hero, why would he do that with a FH or trips? I'm thinking if the BB actually had a 5/77 he would just bet out hoping to build the pot and pot committ any good hands on the turn.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:33 PM

The players are reasonable, but not neccesarily good - as in, they wont play the same as you. Maybe this guys thought with A5 is "i love a good check-rasin' situation like this"
Old 11-16-2004, 01:08 AM

"any 5 I would think they would play it a little slower"

answer: because there is a flush draw out there.