Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2004, 07:20 AM

Default What book(s) cover the concept of equity?

I'm not looking for the "best" book. Ideally, I would like several books that approach the concept at least somewhat differently so that I can come up with my own understanding of the concepts involved.

I would also be interested in books that describe equity or similar concepts in other fields besides poker. Or a suggestion of what might be a similar concept in another field so that I can search on my own.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:56 AM

Default Re: What book(s) cover the concept of equity?

SSH talks about equity in a poker context. To my knowledge, it is the only book to do so.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:15 PM

Before I got into poker, short term stock market trading using back-testable strategies was my main interest.

The concept of Equity (as in pot equity, the % of the current pot you would expect to win over many trials given the same conditions) is very closely related to Expectation (how much you expect to earn on average, per dollar risked).

Despite the cheesy title, Trade your way to Financial Freedom by Dr. Van K Tharp link
is one of the better trading books that studies EV.

FWIW, if your main interest is poker, I don't think there is much (if any) poker EV to be gained by reading outside the 2+2 book realm.

-Lance
Old 10-08-2004, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, if your main interest is poker, I don't think there is much (if any) poker EV to be gained by reading outside the 2+2 book realm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I am intellectually curious about a lot of things, although I should have qualified that I am not particularly interested in finance/economics. They don't call it the dismal science for nothing.

I've heard arguments that Gus Hansen has a good understanding of equity due to his backgammon background. I don't play backgammon, but I figured that if I could find a similar concept in another field, it may make it easier for me to understand it in poker.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:05 PM

Actually trading stocks, futures, and options is alot less dismal than reading about finance or economics, but I do understand your point.

Just out of curiosity, what is it about (Pot) Equity you're working to understand? As far as I know it's a pretty straightforward concept, although things do get fuzzy when you try to apply it to your decisions with less than very strong hands/draws (I was set straight on this in this thread link).

I haven't played backgammon since the 70's, so I'm no expert, but I do understand how EV might apply to backgammon decisions (if money was wagered of course). Since there is no pot to be won after each move, how would the concept of "equity" apply?

-Lance
Old 10-10-2004, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd make two solid exceptions to that without hesitation: Internet Hold'em, which is a very solid book that is much better for beginners than any other book out there and has value well beyond beginner stage, and Super/System, which has Chip Reese's good 7-stud section in it, and which some people like reading Brunson's NL Hold'em section in. The latter is said to be a bit outdated, but it's still well worth a look. I found the 7-stud section very helpful, but that's the only game I've played with any depth at all, so couldn't say a thing about the rest -- not having even read the hold'em sections myself.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:23 AM

Bob Ciaffone & Stewart Reuben have written some of the best books on limit & no limit holdem.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:11 PM

I have yet to get those books, but I've heard some good things about them too. Now that I'm thinking about it...there was another guy who came out with a couple of books of detailed analysis of hold'em hands, one of which is out of print. He went into real estate with his wife, and used to have a picture of himself in Card Player magazine...guy with a moustache hmmm, drawing a blank. Anyway, even when I wasn't a hold'em player I used to really enjoy the detailed analysis in his hold'em columns. I really would like to get his books and give them a shot too.

So there are at least a few books outside the 2+2 canon that are very worthwhile.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:18 PM

Just checked Amazon.com. Roy Cooke is the guy, and The Cooke Collection and The Play of the Hanads are his first and second books. Bot out of stock. Kinda surprised, since they're so well-regarded by so many people.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:18 PM

Yep, Real Poker: The Play of Hands is first on my list of books I don't have yet. Well, that and Super System 2.