Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 01:17 PM

Default ATo goes limp

Absolute Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Just received my rakeback from Absolute after I cashed out my bonus weeks ago. A little more than $50 in my account and Poker Room was experiencing wide-spread connection problems. I didn't have a read on the villain yet, but later PT listed him as LAG. If I had known this I would've played this differently, but I'm still unhappy with it.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

This looks like one of those WA/WB hands that are often discussed here. So I tried to plan my play for the next two streets when the turn came...

Turn: (4.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Not a card I like, but I picked up a flush draw and a gutshot.

River: (6.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 6.75 BB
Old 04-27-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re: ATo goes limp

I like all streets...

what was your plan if villian bet the river?
Old 04-27-2005, 01:34 PM

I would have bet out on the Flop, just to let the guy know I hit, and if he raised I would have gone into check/call mode. Otherwise it seems like a fine line to me. Button probably showed down something like 77-99

C-Dog
Old 04-27-2005, 01:41 PM

That's why I am so unhappy with this hand. I was planning to the bet the river if the turn and river cards were safe, but the K imploded my plan and I didn't have one when it was decision time. Anyway, if the villain bets the river, that makes it 7.75-1 to call, but it's really hard to imagine the rational 3-bet hands that I can beat. I lose to AK, AQ, AJ(?), AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT... and even dubious hands like KJ, KT, QJ... in fact, the only broadway cards I can beat are QT. I probably would have called a river bet anyway because of the pot odds and my previous lack of aggression, but most of the time I wouldn't like the results. If he's bluffing the river 1 in 8 times I make money by calling.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:50 PM

probably a better question for the HUSH forum, but...

PREFACE: i suck at playing HU [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

why did you raise this preflop? did you think it would get HU or shorthanded? if i thought most would call, i fold from MP2, too tight?

i'd bet out on the flop and see what he does. you have flush, straight outs plus the flop probably missed him.

if you bet out the flop, i'd keep betting until reraised especially with picking up more outs with flush and straights.

the way you played it: i'd have check/folded the river probably, but since he didn't bet..goot.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:52 PM

First of all i dont like raising w A10o this is a limpinghand IMO. In a loose game and in a thight game i have no regretts folding this hand. Since its a loosegame limping is better if he raises u call.

The flop: I Would bet this to see if hes strong. the preflop raise indicate a strong hand (or hes just another stupid player that raise paintedcard)
When u checked u got into trouble. He could have a hand like AK and still bet here. after hes bet i would raise and se what he does. if he reraise u could fold, if he just calls i would think he got AK or AQ. All this u could avoid by betting out the flop!

The turn gives u outs but u dont like it AK has u beat now but as u say u get nutflushdraw. and check call is a good line.

The river: check call is good and he didnt bet so u could have the best hand.

GL // Dunno
Old 04-27-2005, 01:58 PM

Default A note for those of you haven\'t played at Absolute

The tables are much tighter than what you're probably used to, even at .5/1. This makes open-raising with ATo (if you're going to play it from MP) a must because frequently everyone folds and you pick up the blinds for free. If I were in early position I would just fold preflop.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:59 PM

Open raising in MP2 with ATo is pretty standard.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:10 PM

while i'm still wondering if i would raise the preflop, it is definitely not a "limping" hand. it does not handle multiway pots well, as drawing hands are much stronger. you want your paired Aces to hold up. this is a raise or fold hand from this position.

i guess it depends on table conditions whether i raise or fold this that's all.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:11 PM

Folded to me in MP2, I'm raising this 100% of the time regardless of table texture.