Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Ax common marginal situation

I'm at work, but it seems I had dozens of these lately, so this is made up.

Consider Button to be a mid-high VPIPer with low-mid aggro (e.g. 37/9/.9). Nothing tricky, but generally going to far with his hands.

.5/1 5 players
pre-flop: Hero is CO with A6o.
1 fold, Hero raises, Button calls, 1 fold, BB calls.

Flop: (6.5 SB) 7 T 4 (r)
BB checks, Hero bets, Button calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4.25 SB) J (2-suited)
Hero ???

If our plan is c/f, and it gets checked behind, what is the plan for the river UI?

It's great to be last to act with A-high on these boards, which I gather is why we pfr from the CO to buy the button. These guys never give it up, and so it sucks to be /not/ last to act. Is there any standard line here, when we have no position and no reasonable hand?
Old 11-29-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Ax common marginal situation

I bet and that's the last time that I'll put money into the pot (UI). I think that these types of players will call the flop, hoping to improve on the turn, but will fold UI on the turn. Furthermore, if he calls, we know that he has at least a pair. And also, we still have 3 outs to improve to on the river, which will likely win the entire pot.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:42 PM

i'll usually bet the turn and give up on the river. if you do that often enough you either get some free showdowns with ace high or they bet the river and you fold. if they bet any river you check then we can c/r our best hands on the river.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:48 PM

it depends on the board - on this one i often just give up right here. Ts and Js are common among limping hands, the oesd just completed, and better aces aren't folding.

if i had A9 there, i bet. i hate this spot, as well, and am unsure if i should be betting here more often.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:24 PM

I found myself in this spot a ton last night. The problem was that the dude after me was just like this villain- -cold called too often and went too far. I finally decided it was time to adjust and pretty much went to A9o to open from the CO and A7/8 from the button. I don't necessarily want to play like that tonight, but it helped there.

I know this isn't the main point of your post, but adjusting to the guys around us is the most interesting part of our preflop decisions and pays off on the flop and turn.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:26 PM

Try adding fold to flop/turn bet to your PA HUD. Helps me a ton when I am wondering if I should fire a second barrel or check and call any river.