Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 08:29 AM

Default Psychology/Zen

Would anyone recommend (or recommend me to stay away) from any of these titles...if i overlooked a good book please let me know...my poker play has been getting much better but my focus (especially down at heads up in SNG) has me a little worried...i don't know if my ADD is kicking in (ha) or just losing focus or just content to be in the money...can't figure it out...just seems like i lose my patience and start playing/pushing hands i normally wouldn't...but at the same time i'm very competitive and don't like to lose...so i thought it might be time to put a psychology book to work...any thoughts? thanks for any comments.

The Psychology of Poker by Alan N., Ph.D. Schoonmaker (Paperback - May 2000)

Beyond Tells: Power Poker Psychology by James A., Ph.D. McKenna (Paperback)

Inside the Poker Mind: Essays on Hold 'em and General Poker Concepts
by John Feeney, et al (Paperback - May 2000)

The Tao of Poker: 285 Rules to Transform Your Game and Your Life by Larry W. Phillips (Paperback - March 2003)

Zen and the Art of Poker : Timeless Secrets to Transform Your Game -- by Larry Phillips; Paperback

Zen in the Art of Archery (Vintage Spiritual Classics) -- by Eugen Herrigel, Daisetz T. Suzuki (Introduction); Paperback
Old 10-11-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Psychology/Zen

[ QUOTE ]
Zen in the Art of Archery (Vintage Spiritual Classics) -- by Eugen Herrigel, Daisetz T. Suzuki (Introduction); Paperback

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very interested in reading this one as well as my late game MTT focus has been diwndling lately. Anyone have a review on this?
Old 10-12-2005, 08:44 PM

The only one I have read is Zen and the Art of Poker : Timeless Secrets to Transform Your Game -- by Larry Phillips; Paperback

I thought it was very good and would recommend it.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:36 AM

I don't full-out recommend AVOIDING Zen and the Art of Poker.
There are some parts of the book that are quite good ...particularly if you suspect that your patience and discipline are lacking.

But Zen and Art of Poker also contains some REALLY horrid advice that needs to be ignored and, in my case, tainted the parts of the book that were good.
The author says things like making sure you don't stay at a table while the cards are going cold...but make sure don't leave before you are due to run hot. Something like that anyway...just generally strange advice that seems to pre-suppose that you are supposed to 'know' or 'feel' when you are going to run good or run bad and when the 'flow of the cards' is going to suddenly become better or worse for you.

He even flat-out says that one should ignore the math.

Again - some of his ideas are good...but be careful not to fall into his dangerous ideas.

Also - anyone who actually brags about finishing 2nd in the Wisconsin state poker championships can't be THAT freaking good imo!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2005, 04:27 PM

I own and have read (or at least perused):

The Psychology of Poker by Alan N., Ph.D. Schoonmaker (Paperback - May 2000)

Good for identifying player types (including your own - TAG of course [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) and how to play against them. Also identifying your weaknesses and making a plan to work on them.

Inside the Poker Mind: Essays on Hold 'em and General Poker Concepts
by John Feeney, et al (Paperback - May 2000)

Has the most strategy content of the three. A good book.

Zen and the Art of Poker : Timeless Secrets to Transform Your Game -- by Larry Phillips; Paperback

Good for tilt issues. Don't listen when he talks about streaks of luck (good or bad).