Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 01:19 AM

Default Brain Defect

Sometimes, I think I have a brain defect.

It works like this -- I get deep into a MTT (so far, this has been true only, but not B&M) and I'm doing well. Average or above chip stack. Picking up small pots. Playing well. I've made mostly right decisions to this point. I haven't even necessarily had a big hand, just enough winning hands and blind steals to be doing well.

Then I get a big starting hand, and before I know it, I'm busted. Some times I've gotten all my chips in with way of the best of it (such as QQ against 8,8 after the flop only to see the guy catch runner runner for a straight). That's one thing, but often times, I get clues that the other guy has hit an improbable hand (such as the guy who called my big bets down to the river to hit trip 8s (hold A,8x)) and even though if I folded I wouldn't be in bad shape, and he's given me ample evidence he's made a big hand, I just don't fold.

It would be one thing if I sat and made a rational decision -- ok, he may have me beat, but maybe not for the following reasons ... but I don't stop and think. And this is where the brain defect comes in.

I can go for two hours in a tournament making decisions that are thoughtful and wise. I can lay down hand that are strong, but probably second best.

But then this one hand comes up ...

I think I'd be a great MTT player if I could solve this problem. I outplay and outplay and outplay my opponents. Then I beat myself.

And I just can't figure out how to stop doing this.

Am I doomed? Can I fix it?

Recently, I've been using PokerAcademy Pro to just play the same big hands over and over and practice trying to access where I am in the hand and lay down when I'm beat. But I'm not sure if this is enough, and as good as PA is, it still feels artificial -- for example, I haven't seen a PA player yet call a big raise with A,8 off suit and chase down big bets to the river.

I just feel like there is some switch in my brain that freezes at critical junctures in tournaments.

I don't seem to have this problem off line(but then I've played way fewer tournaments), and rarely in SNGs, where I'm definately a +EV player.

If I could solve this problem, I know ... I KNOW ... I could win some MTTs.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:45 AM

Default Re: Brain Defect

You know theres a reason most players step away from the table in live tourneys at critical moments. They dont want to make decisions too quickly. If you just slow down and think for a few seconds you should be able to beat this problem. Just get your hand off the mouse if you are playing online and think before you make a decision. Its just a matter of slowing down it seems.

Good Luck
Old 10-30-2005, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Brain Defect

Clasp your hands together and watch the clock. Consciously try to take more time with decisions.