Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Jacks

Ok Villan is pretty straight forward, likes to call with big slick preflop and sticks around with big slick if you make it cheap enough.

Party Poker (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Folder1 folds.
Folder2 folds.
Folder3 folds.
Hero raises [$1.50].
Folder4 folds.
Villan raises [$2.75].
Folder5 folds.
Folder6 folds.
Folder7 folds.
Folder8 folds.
Hero calls [$1.25].

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Hero bets [$3].
Villan is all-In [$44.95]
Hero ?

I knew he had an over pair preflop, but I couldnt help but bet on the flop because I knew if he called he had two overs, but I knew better than to bet, thats what annoyed me. The problem is that I thought just checking seemed too weak. What do you guys think?
Old 08-29-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Jacks

fold
Old 08-29-2005, 05:59 PM

Hero folds.
Villan does not show cards.
Villan wins $53.25

Yes I folded I just hated my flop bet, what do you guys think of that?
Old 08-29-2005, 06:07 PM

you seem to have a good read on the villian, but what do you think is his read on you? This can drastically change your read on him [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] If he thinks your pretty LAGgy, he could easily raise here with 88 or 99. Or does he think your are a rock and only raise with TT-AA and AK? Many tables I play at, I would have no problem raising w/ 99 against a rather loose player (read most players) if I know he raises or specifically re-reraises with things like AT, AJ, KQ, KJ, KT suited or not (which way too many do for some reason). I feel that this is a fairly standard play to isolate if he has a mid-high pp like 88 or 99 if he sees you as either. This is even more true since you only called his reraise and he is probably putting you on a mid pair or 2 broadway cards since you would of definately reraised again if you had AA or KK. I think checking here gives you the best read and if he does have QQ-AA, he may not want to scare you away with a big bet and still give you a cheap turn if you show weakness(doubtful though), but even if he pushes, it still saves you the $3 bet.

While this does scream OVERBET, I would definitely fold this as too many hands either beat you or are a coin flip that it is not profitable.

And if he did have QQ-AA, just be happy that it did not cost you more.