Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 11:01 PM

Default Back to back hands (200NL 6-max)

Sorry no hand history...I have been at the table for one orbit, and been dealt AK once, AQ twice, and 88, raise pre-flop with all and missed with all but have taken down every pot with pot-sized continuation bets on the flop. I mention this because I am probably looking somewhat maniacal when this hand comes up...

I am button with approx $260. Two limpers to me, I make it $11 to go with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The two limpers call, and both are pretty short (about $110 and $85 or so).

Flop comes 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

First limper bets $12, second calls, I really don't know where to go from there with them both being short, so I push. Like? I'll kill the suspence; they both thought for awhile and folded.

Very next hand I am dealt 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the CO. One limper to me, I make it $10 to to. SB calls ($200), big-stacked BB calls($450), and limper calls ($95). Somewhat relevant on the previous hand when I overbet the pot huge, big-stack typed "AK" in the chat box.

4 to the flop which comes A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Checked to me, I bet the pot($40), they all fold. I thought I could get any ace (namely big stack) to come along as I could take advantage of my image which looked extremely LAGish. After the fact I think a flop check and big turn bet were more in order. Thoughts on this line of thinking?
Old 09-07-2005, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Back to back hands (200NL 6-max)

hand 1: I think I like calling instead of pushing. You have an absolute monster hand, your in position, and your up against two shortstacks.

True, you want to get it all-in now, but with them coming along.

hand 2 is fine IMO.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:10 PM

I think in Hand 2 when it's checked to you on the flop, a bet is the best move. You don't have to full pot it, making it $30 is fine, as the board is basically drawless to begin with. It could be possible that no one had an ace, and I'd just rather build the pot now with my set so it's easier to get in more money later. AK-AT are all definitely staying, and maybe, probably weak aces that called pre-flop as well.

Sometimes there just are no other Aces out there. You could easily be up against KJ, 99, and 55, which might just all fold to any bet.

Hand 1 is fine.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:12 PM

hand 1:

i like just limping, i open raise ATs the majority of the time but im somewhat wary of doing it over limpers. just my habit, and you are on the button so that makes a raise better. depends on the table. if its loose passive i like a limp, if its tightish fire away.

flop push looks good, especially since you raised pf. theyll fold a lot and you have a zillion outs with 2 cards to come.

hand 2

theres nothing really wrong with the way you played it. they probably just did not have a piece of the board, and when that happens you just cant do too much about it. there are only 3 cards in the deck which you hate, so giving another card here is ok. but they either hit the board or whiffed, so its not like giving a free card is not going to win you a huge pot. it might win you a call from QQ or something but you raised pf, theyll most likely give you credit for the ace and fold.

the only way giving a free card really helps is if:

1. they think youre bluffing and will pay you off. however this will only win you another pot sized bet, youre chances of getting it all in if they cant beat an ace are tiny. so youre not missing out on destacking them my making them think youre bluffing.

2. they hit a two pair with tens, ie a king comes and they have k10. not probably.

3. they hit aces up. of course, betting out probably gets you action from those hands anyway.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:17 PM

Maybe just personal preferrence, but I prefer to bet something like 80% of pot here.

If someone has a good hand here, good chance you are getting alot of their chips regardless of what you bet.

Board isn't very drawy, and it gives them the chance to think you are bluffing again, and give them a better chance to come over the top and "rebluff" you.

Takes a pretty big player to rebluff a full pot bet, most just give up, even if they think you are bluffing.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:14 AM

hand 1, how short are they, most of the time this is def an easy push.
hand 2, you dont want to give a free turn card for a gutshot, and as u said u can get a lot of mediocre hands to come along with you due to your image.
Noah
Old 09-08-2005, 12:25 AM

Hand 1
The table seems pretty tight from the sounds of it (folding to your continuation bet every time) so I like the raise of A10s pre-flop. Your position and the fact that it's tight outweighs the fact that they probably think you are full of it and might play back at you. If the game was a bit more loose passive or loose aggressive I'd probably just limp. Once you hit that flop the push was good, you had good equity I think.

Hand 2
At first I was in agreement with everyone else on hand 2, but after I think about it I sort of like the idea of slowplaying... it seems very likely to me you'll squeeze one more bet out of a hand like k10-j10 or some sort of pair, someone might make a play at the pot on the turn, someone might get a draw on the turn, and someone may hit a lower set or twopair. I think you may even get more action out of an ace too... if they have an ace and are willing to go all-in with it, not betting the flop shouldn't matter, and if they have a weak ace and you check the flop you might get more out of them this way if they don't believe you (depends a lot on what hits on the turn). Whole point is that it's probably ok to let the hand develop a bit more to squeeze some extra bets. I'd definitely bet nearly every turn though. Might be too FPS though as you are giving a free card to any gutshot draw, shrug.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:54 AM

if limper is capable of betting the flop with a flush draw or a naked T there, I like just calling.

hand 2 is fine. I might bet a bit less like 30 but if thats your standard with AX here then potsized is fine.