Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2005, 10:44 PM

Default New to sports betting

Hey all,

Well as the topic says, I haven't done much gambling on sports, as I mainly play poker for some side income. But, I am big on baseball and football so I figure I could make a decent amount on the side with this as well. I took $500 from my poker roll and put it on the BETWWTS site and so far things have gone fairly well, although it's been just 2 days heh(+1.5 units). I had a couple questions about this whole thing if some of you wouldn't mind helping me out.

From what I can tell each book offers different lines, so would it be wise to get an account on a couple books?(I hear Pinnacle has the best lines)

Are parlays worth betting? What are teasers and are those worth betting either?

I am currently making $10 bets as my unit, is this too high? I have heard most people reccommend 1-2% of the total bankroll but mines at 5%, is this going to pose a problem down the road?

I have not seen many people bet on the run line. Is this just a bad idea and -EV move for baseball? Should I stick to money lines and O/U?

Is it better to bet on a wide variety of games or stick to only a couple per day and possibly make those bets for 2 units? Or does this depend greatly on the person and their knowledge of the games going on that day?

Are there any good sites that allow you to bet early on games?(the site I'm on only allows same day betting)

Thanks for taking all the questions and answers are greatly appreciated. Good luck tomorrow on your picks also!
Old 04-18-2005, 05:02 AM

Default Re: New to sports betting

[ QUOTE ]
But, I am big on baseball and football so I figure I could make a decent amount on the side with this as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like a dangerous thought. The bookies are big on baseball and football as well. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Good luck to you.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From what I can tell each book offers different lines, so would it be wise to get an account on a couple books?(I hear Pinnacle has the best lines)[ QUOTE ]

Some people do it, but if you are betting $10 a game, it's a waste of time.

[ QUOTE ]
Are parlays worth betting? What are teasers and are those worth betting either?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like them in baseball. Especially with smaller bets. Statistically though, they aren't good bets.

[ QUOTE ]
I am currently making $10 bets as my unit, is this too high? I have heard most people reccommend 1-2% of the total bankroll but mines at 5%, is this going to pose a problem down the road?

[/ QUOTE ]

$10 isn't bad with a bankroll of $500.

[ QUOTE ]
I have not seen many people bet on the run line. Is this just a bad idea and -EV move for baseball? Should I stick to money lines and O/U?

[/ QUOTE ]

RUn line can be useful in bringing the amount down that you have to pay. Follow it on paper for awhile.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it better to bet on a wide variety of games or stick to only a couple per day and possibly make those bets for 2 units? Or does this depend greatly on the person and their knowledge of the games going on that day?

[/ QUOTE ]

No easy answer. Find your style. Don't bet too many or your bankroll suffers on losing streaks.

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any good sites that allow you to bet early on games?(the site I'm on only allows same day betting)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there are plenty that offer overnight lines on baseball
Old 04-19-2005, 01:00 AM

Thanks for your help. So far I'm doing well with a 7-1 day today to boost me to +6.5 units in my early sports betting career.