Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2005, 01:27 AM

Default AA hand

Hi, I've been playing medium/high stakes limit hold'em for awhile but I'm pretty new to stud and I've been doing okay at party poker 5/10 and 10/20 but there are still lots of situations where I'm really not sure if I'm doing the right things. This hand was 10/20 and any comments would be greatly appreciated.

7 Card Stud High (10/20), ante 1.

3rd Street

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]__completes__calls
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]__folds
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]__raises
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]__folds
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]__bring-ins (3)__folds
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]__calls__calls
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]__calls__folds
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]__folds

4th Street

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]__calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]__bets__calls
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]__raises

My opinion on 4th street is that 6 is on a flush draw but since this hand, especially with a straight draw could be a slight favorite against me I don't want to get jammed in here by a superdraw so my plan is to call here and then lead 5th street if they catch blanks. I have no read on seat 1 except that I have seen her take unimproved medium pairs too far.

5th Street

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]__calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]__bets__calls
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]__raises

I like both of them catching low diamonds so I lead again, they both have J8 showing so I feel like I have no reason to believe that I don't have the best hand here. When 6 raises I'm concerned but it still looks like I can win by making 2p, furthermore this could be an attempt to raise out 1 and take a freecard on 6th if he misses or to try to get an extra bet if he hits his flush. 1 cold calling here is a big problem but I figure she could have a scared 2p so I feel like I can still see 6th street.

6th Street

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]__calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]__checks__calls
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]__bets

At this point I assume one of my opponents could have 2p at this point so I felt like check and call was my best option just to try to suck out.

River

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx__raises
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]__checks__calls
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx__bets__folds

I make my 2p but with 6 on possible club draw and the further possibility of getting 3 bets on river when I check, 6 bets, 1 calls with lower 2p and I overcall I felt that check and call was my best option here. I hate 1 raising but I'm having trouble seeing how her board has me beat except for possible trips, or maybe diamonds. I have made a big hand and I hate cold calling 2 on the river but the pot is huge. Obviously I would fold if 6 reraised even if 1 just called.

Results will follow later.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:57 AM

Default Re: AA hand

I like it..

3rd, standard..

4th, I wouldn't put this person on a flush draw, there are 2 other clubs on 3rd and a lot of people will smooth call to keep the other player in.

5th, I like the bet, if they raise, that will potentially flush the other goon out of the hand.. When they call, that sux.

6th, I don't like to fold 6th.

7th, nice catch. It doesn't look like 2 pair's gonna be good, but you're getting about 9:1 on your call. I think you'll be good here 10% of the time. My guess is that she was slowplaying or something big.

That's just my novice advice.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Re: AA hand

You played it right, I think. The river is kind of tough, because in a $10/20 game it's pretty rare for someone to raise the river with something that doesn't beat Aces-up. Still, unless you know your customer, you can't be 90% sure or whatever it is, so you pretty much have to call.