Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 12:10 AM

Default QJo

Didn't feel too good about very many streets here.

No reads.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB
Old 10-07-2005, 12:25 AM

Default Re: QJo

Consider raising preflop if UTG sucks. Bet the turn.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:38 AM

I think there are too many draws out there to give a free card even if there's a good chance somone has a 9. Furthermore, don't have many outs to beat a straight (2-3), so taking the free card won't do you much good, and you don't need to go to showdown if you're raised. You can safely fold your 2-3 outer.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Furthermore, don't have many outs to beat a straight (3), so taking the free card won't do you much good, and you don't need to go to showdown if you're raised. You can safely fold your 3 outer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point...at the time I didn't think I could take the bet/fold line on the turn because of my gutshot, but given the small pot size I guess it would have been fine.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:45 AM

(grunch)
bet the turn
river check &amp; call looks good.

does anybody check &amp; fold the small pot on the scary board?
Old 10-07-2005, 12:51 AM

Umm, checking this flop is downright terrible. You're in the CO. Everyone checked to you. You have top pair with a good kicker. You're checking and folding to a bet from the button, if he even bets? The small pot is an advantage in this case. A single bet can protect against gutshots, backdoors, and low pairs.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Umm, checking this flop is downright terrible. You're in the CO. Everyone checked to you. You have top pair with a good kicker. You're checking and folding to a bet from the button, if he even bets? The small pot is an advantage in this case. A single bet can protect against gutshots, backdoors, and low pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. You have to put in a bet to protect your investment. You may drawing nearly dead, but it is worth the small bet here to see where you stand.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:55 AM

BTW, I was also planning to fold the river if SB or BB bet and I didn't improve.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:57 AM

That is also bad. You may have had the best hand on the turn, and your turn play induces bluffs and value bets from hands that are worse than yours. You should call that river if it was the 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Old 10-07-2005, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That is also bad. You may have had the best hand on the turn, and your turn play induces bluffs and value bets from hands that are worse than yours. You should call that river if it was the 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

My opponents are almost always going to have something by the river on this board after calling on the flop, so a bluff is unlikely, and I thought that they would value bet 2-pair or maybe QJ-AJ, but not anything I beat. I would have called a bet from UTG however.