Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 10:48 AM

Default JJ Against a Giant Nit

No, I know what you are all thinking, I haven't ever met Jason_t...

So, a friend of mine was in town and sat the 10/20 half kill with me.

Anyway... My friend (lurker "Margeaux") is a solid limit player who I spend much time and effort trying to encourage not to be such a tight weak girl child and to play some decent poker. He plays well and will certainly be playing as well as he can against me, which will likely mean being quite aggressive.

I find myself in the CO with JJ. Margeaux is the BB.

A slew of folds, Deranged bets, button folds, Margeaux raises, big blind folds, Deranged calls (?).

Flop: 1000 = 10^3 = T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Margeaux bets, Deranged calls.

Turn: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Margeaux bets, Deranged calls.

River: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Margeaux bets, Deranged raises ...

We cool?
Old 08-11-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Re: JJ Against a Giant Nit

So which is it? Is he likely to be playing like an Ubernit, or super agressive? I think that unless he's ubernit, you have to cap this preflop & bet/3bet postflop, slowing down only if raised on the big streets or capped on the flop. You have JJ in a situation where it looks like you may be stealing. Your hand is good here very often, which you seem to agree with from your river raise. Stop screwing around & shove some chips in.

jvs
Old 08-11-2005, 10:54 AM

Too little action.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:55 AM

Wouldn't 3-betting preflop and knowing whether or not he caps preflop be a better way to know if our jacks are good vs. a player you describe as weak tight?

If he caps preflop, I can't imagine raising the river. And why wait till the river to just get one more bet in? If you know you're ahead, you should be hitting him back on the turn at least ...
Old 08-11-2005, 10:56 AM

I should clarify...

I just like to joke my friend is weak-tight. He's more weak-tight than I am, but he plays well. My title is sort of in jest.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Too little action.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think is the best strategy for getting in > 3.5 bets here?

Here's what I was thinking about:

-My friend knows I'd enter on a steal in that situation.
-He'd likely continue betting a hand like AJ on that board for value.
-There's no way to defend my hand against any two overcard hards, and I'm crushing the other likely pre-flop isolation hands (the pairs)

I think I have a better idea of how to play this now, but I'll wait and see what other lines people suggest.

I personally very much do not like capping pre-flop in this situation because I want my friend to be leading into me on the flop. If I don't cap he will lead the flop > 90% of the time.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:13 AM

You must cap preflop because he will 3-bet with dominated hands and you can induce a FToP mistake if he folds something like AK/AQ/KQ unimproved.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You must cap preflop because he will 3-bet with dominated hands and you can induce a FToP mistake if he folds something like AK/AQ/KQ unimproved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the idea here. I'm just not sure if I can induce this mistake often enough. My friend knows that I am going to try my damnedest to take this pot away from him.

It seems the best FToP mistake I can encourage him to make is betting when he should check...

It would seem to me the place I missed bets is the flop. Raising, with the hope of getting three-bet seems better. But, again, I want him to be leading every street here.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:21 AM

Why? Him calling every street is just as good, and you are getting in at least an extra SB preflop. Your line is best ONLY if he has a hand he'll bet on every street (big A, pocket pair) AND your hand stays best the entire way, AND he won't give you any additional action with a worse hand. That's quite a parlay to ask. Just jam in chips & punish him for trying to defend against your "blind steal". It's the most EV line for this hand, and for metagame purposes as well.

jvs
Old 08-11-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why? Him calling every street is just as good, and you are getting in at least an extra SB preflop. Your line is best ONLY if he has a hand he'll bet on every street (big A, pocket pair) AND your hand stays best the entire way, AND he won't give you any additional action with a worse hand. That's quite a parlay to ask. Just jam in chips & punish him for trying to defend against your "blind steal". It's the most EV line for this hand, and for metagame purposes as well.

jvs

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the metagame value of springing a river raise is very high here...

I think the fact that my opponent will continue to bet every street can basically be taken as given.

I think the question of my hand staying best the whole time is kind of moot here because I'm not likely to find a fold ever here and I cannot protect my hand against the hands I'm most afraid of, probably (my opponent will likely call down a hand like AQ for showdown value anyway).

The question of getting more action with an inferior hand is the important one.

Good breakdown, though.