Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 12:10 PM

Default 109 MTT Finaltable Hand- totally misplayed?

Hi, I'm from germany so excuse my english...I'll try my best.

Yesterday I played a 109 MTT on PartyPoker with 230 entrants and a 23K prizepool. I played tight, won some uncontested pots, made some nice preflop resteals and played uberaggro postflop.
Until finaltable there were just about 3-4 hands, which gone to showdown.

Here's my final (bustout) hand and I think I totally misplayed it.

Here's the hand (converter doesn't work ... no action and wrong pot size, so I use the 'old' format)

#Game No : 2790775101
***** Hand History for Game 2790775101 *****
NL Texas Hold'em Trny:16144898 Level:15 Blinds (1500/3000) - Wednesday, September 28, 16:47:42 EDT 2005
Table Multi-Table(472291) Table #1 (Real Money)
Seat 9 is the button
Total number of players : 7
Seat 10: taktloss47 ( $28857 )
Seat 4: Merseylad ( $28676 )
Seat 6: torden ( $39445 )
Seat 1: hugo13 ( $24428 )
Seat 5: pbelldds ( $28135 )
Seat 7: rex2win ( $25400 )
Seat 9: poser54 ( $55059 )
Trny:16144898 Level:15
Blinds (1500/3000)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to taktloss47 [ Js Qd ]
Merseylad folds.
pbelldds calls [3000].
torden folds.
rex2win folds.
poser54 folds.
taktloss47 calls [1500].
hugo13 checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ Jd, Tc, 9c ]
taktloss47 bets [8900]. // Potbet to protect my hand
hugo13 folds.
pbelldds raises [17800]. // well, I thought this was a kind of reverse reverse reverse play and I thought he is minraising to represent a monster. (KQ or a Set) If it matters...he raised within 1 or 2 seconds.
Your time bank will become active in less than 20 seconds. If you do not want it to be used, please act now.
taktloss47 will be using his time bank for this hand.
taktloss47 is all-In [16957] // so I put all my money in with TP and OESD
pbelldds is all-In [7335]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 9s ]
** Dealing River ** [ 8s ]

Results to follow...

Any thoughts?
Old 09-29-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Re: 109 MTT Finaltable Hand- totally misplayed?

Did you have a read on what range of hands villain would be limping here? I think with these stack sizes and that flop you might be destined to go broke here, especially once you lead out (you might be able to get away if you bet half the pot planning to fold to a raise, but with top pair+oesd I'm not sure you really want to) Sorry it didn't work out this time.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:28 PM

I don't think you can get away from top pair plus open ended with the money this shallow.

This flop could hit a lot of hands hard. When you get action, it is hard to tell if you are ahead, behind or even.

Out of position, I might play for a checkraise allin here.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:40 PM

I'll give this hand a shot...

The call is fine from the sb. Raising with a speculative JQ out of position is bad, and folding here just seems too weak/tight to me. You can't be weak/tight if you want to win a tournament.

The flop you hit could be deceivingly good. Even though you hit top pair good kicker with an OESD, you are still behind many hands that could limp from EP. These include AA, KK, QQ, AJ, KQ, KJ, JJ, TT, 99. Of course you are also behind JT and J9, but I doubt that you can put him on those hands. He could have 88 here as well, since he could be overvaluing his underpair and OESD. Of course there's a flush draw out there too, so he could be raising that. Although this is quickly getting complicated since this is such a draw heavy board. You can add in AK and AQ suited and offsuit as well to this problem.

Your equity with QJo is going to be around ~%35 with this fairly tight range of hands. There are probably more I should include, but that would increase your equity even more.

With this kind of flop and the rediculous blinds, I'm looking to get my chips in as quickly as possible. Since you only have ~27k left behind with a 9000 chip pot, you really can't play your hand to the river, so it makes no sense to put out a smaller bet on the flop then get away from it later. Force your opponent to make a tough decision on the flop.

Either you'll win the 9000 chips in the pot (a nice ~%33 boost), or you'll get called and be on average a 2:1 dog to win the pot, and possibly become the chip leader. Being the chip leader will help you bully all of the medium stacks, who are all probably playing a very tight now.

Keep in mind that I like taking these kind of risks to get a big chip stack at a final table.

From the sounds of it, you probably ran into a set, and filled up on the turn, while you made your straight on the river. I'm curious to hear the actual results though.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I might play for a checkraise allin here.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I might play for a checkraise allin here.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially if villain will mostly bet when checked to, being last to act.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:26 PM

Hero needs to bet the flop.

It's very possible that the opener does not try to bluff the pot on such a draw rich flop if he missed.

I'd lead for a smaller amount (T4000) with the intention of moving in on the turn. I think you need to flush the BB out and see where you are.

With these stack sizes and your hand its not possible to get away from the hand once villain raises.

With this board I can't imagine villain miniraising with a set, 2pr or a str8, so I think he must have KQc to invite your draw. Of course I call with contempt and incredulity.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the replies!

So it seems I didn't totally misplayed it. In my opinion a flop bet is out of question cause I don't want to give freecards in this situation. Perhaps I should have bet a little less with the intention to release my hand if there is any resistance.

pbelldds had KQo...flopped nut straight [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps I should have bet a little less with the intention to release my hand if there is any resistance.

pbelldds had KQo...flopped nut straight

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting less is OK, but I wouldn't think of releasing the hand to resistance. You want to get the money in. Sorry to hear villain flopped the straight, but you flopped an apparently strong hand, there is substantial money already in the pot, and you will get action from hands that don't have you beat.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:51 PM

Your english was fine, probably better than most of my posts.

I think you played the hand standard, and I bust there too.