Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Do You Call This on the River

This was a Poker Starts SNG $5.50. My read on the villian was a solid player. He didn't do anything out of line. I'll admit, I was completely confused throughout the hand and realized just how well he schooled me on the hand. I'd like to hear comments on my mistakes throughout, but especially the river call. (Sorry, I was having trouble getting the converter to work).

Seat 3: villian (1220 in chips)
Seat 4: hero (1745 in chips)

villian: posts small blind 50
hero: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to hero [7h Td]
EP1: folds
EP2: calls 100
3 folds
Button: calls 100
villian: calls 50
hero: checks
*** FLOP *** [4c Ts 6s]
villian: checks
hero: bets 250
EP: folds
Button: folds
villian: raises 250 to 500
Hero: calls 250
*** TURN *** [4c Ts 6s] [6h]
villian: checks
hero: checks
*** RIVER *** [4c Ts 6s 6h] [8h]
villian: bets 300
Hero: calls 300
Old 05-05-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Do You Call This on the River

My line would be to bet about half the pot on the flop and fold to a reraise. You don't have much of a hand, so I'd wait for a better spot.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:00 PM

Flop) Pot is 400 it looks like? I think 250 is a good bet. I'd fold to the raise.

Turn) He's hoping you are going to bet again.

River) Fine, if you won't bet, he will. I think you have very little chance to win here, but the problem is that you are being offered 1700 chips and only need to call 300. If you fold you've got 1100 or so and if you call you've probably got 800. I really think you should fold.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:13 PM

Preflop: lots of customers, no signs of strength.

Flop:
I like the flop lead. 250 is a good amount. It thins the field.

I don't like coldcalling his min c/r. raise or fold. We could have the best hand, but we're also very vulnerable. Calling is the worst of the three options, IMO. It's early, our hand is weak, and the pot isn't too big, so folding isn't horrible. SB hasn't shown any real strength, though, and a raise could win us the pot. A raise pretty much pot-sticks both of us if SB calls though, and we may not like the turn or river. Even if it is a semibluff, I think we have to give SB credit here and choose a better spot. Still, I can see a line for raising here, and I've even pushed in situations similar to this. Main point is that calling is the worst play here.

Turn:
He just c/r'ed you and doesn't lead out. Hmmm. two spades, perhaps? And he just got a free peek.

River:
Pot odds alone justify at least a call on the end. His underbet could be for value or it could be a lame ass bluff on a missed draw. Good call.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He just c/r'ed you and doesn't lead out. Hmmm. two spades, perhaps? And he just got a free peek.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see many people checkraising for half their stack on a flush draw when you bet out on the flop like that. If I have 1100 chips and you bet 250 into me, I'm check raising for my whole stack if I'm going to do it. The same on the end...if he wanted you to fold, he's not betting 300 of his last 600 chips. He's betting 300 of his last 600 chips because he hopes you can't resist the odds and call.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see many people checkraising for half their stack on a flush draw when you bet out on the flop like that. If I have 1100 chips and you bet 250 into me, I'm check raising for my whole stack if I'm going to do it. The same on the end...if he wanted you to fold, he's not betting 300 of his last 600 chips. He's betting 300 of his last 600 chips because he hopes you can't resist the odds and call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something tells me that villain here isn't thinking much about our hand.

The turn and river play are automatic here, anyway. The issue is on the flop. Calling was bad.

edit: You absolutely have to call this river. Folding to such a small bet when we have top two pair is just weak. If we're no good then oh well. Type "gh" and rebuild your stack.

edit no. 2: We should be looking for ways to win this pot, not ways to get out of it. I'd even consider putting SB all in on the river here.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's betting 300 of his last 600 chips because he hopes you can't resist the odds and call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if it's a value bet we must at least call. Sure, we lose to big pairs, a T with a better kicker, a 6, eights, and fours, but we beat lots of other likely hands. If SB has a clue he pushes on the flop with a big pair. If he has a clue he c/r's all in with a set of 4's. If he has a clue he pushes TP with a better kicker. If he has anything other than a busted draw or pocket 8's, I'll be quite surprised.

Old 05-05-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Results

He showed down 44 - for the boat. I think he pretty much got the most out of me that he could. I certainly would've folded to a turn bet. He improved so he wasn't worried about draws anymore. A good value bet on the river and I was completely confused as to what he was doing. I made a note that he was a pretty good, tricky player after this hand. He ended up busting me too when I was shortstacked and went all-in with A8 and he turned over KK.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Results

Oh well. He made it easy and cheap for you to call. No way you should have folded getting nearly 6-1.