Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 03:10 PM

Default PL Mississippi Stud8

Just want to turn you on to a great game for your next poker night: PL Mississippi Stud8. Some of you may have heard of Mississippi Stud High as a form of Stud for big bet (pot or no limit). It is the same as limit stud expect that 4th and 5th streets are dealt at the same time (no betting in between) and the last card is UP not down. Adding high/low to the mix, which was never mentioned my the inventor of the variation, works out great. 8/b has always been my flavor so adding it to the Mississippi variation was a logical step for my weekly PL mixed game. We haven't gone back to limit stud again. Give it a try because I'd love to know people's experience and thoughts on the game. To me it has everything poker "should" have: big bets, complex decisions, solid equity etc. Also, it gets rid of some of the annoyances of limit stud, like the bring-in by playing it that high leads all rounds and the option of first bet (after the antes) goes to the highest card in a "bet or fold" decision. If the high folds, then the next high gets the option and so on. Once a bet is made, then it rotates to the left like normal. We add the touch that that the left of the dealer pays all the antes for that hand which just helps it blend into a mixed game setting with blind games so that it keeps it in the same spot and the same size as the hold'em blind. The only difference is that it goes right in the middle.