Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 06:15 AM

Default OT! Becoming a Donkey when its heads up......

lately I have noticed a trend with my play. I play typical SNG bot poker. But as soon as I get into the money I become a donkey. I raise, reraise, and rereraise, usually with crappy hands like J9 suited. I call all ins heads up with even stacks with hands like Q8. And usually I lose heads up. I don't know what has happened to me. I use to be a great heads up player. Now the better I have actually gotten at poker the looser I have gotten heads up. I need to fix this leak. I won't lie it is fun to gambool it up tho.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:27 AM

Default Re: OT! Becoming a Donkey when its heads up......

i know what your talkin about, i went through a stage where i was always sayin "lets gamble" with like Q8 hopin for a 40/60 a little to much, obviously it doesnt work out. a couple things to help id say is:

see as many flop as you can for cheap (it is heads up; limpin is not exactly optimal) but if you can outplay them after the flop, dont put all your money in PF

there are many other things as well. but its mostly within yourself. patience my son... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 06:35 AM

I will be completely honest. The reason that I have so much gamble in me heads up is that even back when I use to play a very optimally concentrated heads up match, I would still lose alot. The luck factor is crazy heads up, obviously with blinds sky high you need to push alot of hands to steal blinds. I have taken it a step furthur and just decide to push just about any face card with a decent kicker around an 8 or higher,and many times i will call a raise or push with these hands also. I know this sounds incredibly fishy, but I have come to the conclusion, heads up play at partypoker is 75% luck anyways.

ps--- I need to get out of this rut. The difference between 1st and 2nd is a Benjamin, thats nothing to sneeze at. lol.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:45 AM

Yup, luck factor is huge unless you face way too tight players.

This is a reason why I like gambling it up with aggressive players 3 handed as long as the third seems to be too timid. Once you've knocked out the aggro you can easily push around the timid player HU. Not that that works all the time though ...
Old 11-16-2005, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yup, luck factor is huge unless you face way too tight players.

This is a reason why I like gambling it up with aggressive players 3 handed as long as the third seems to be too timid. Once you've knocked out the aggro you can easily push around the timid player HU. Not that that works all the time though ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Love the timid players, a few tourneys back (only a $5) it was HU, and I raised this guys BB every hand for about 30, he only pushed back twice, once he happened to hold AA, as did I! He failed to raise my blind often enough and I took quite a few free flops too and didn't take long to bust his stack down, easy pickings!