Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Are any(or all) of these plays chip spewing?

Hi,
This is my first post to this forum. I play 2/4 Limit at Empire Poker. I wanted to post my strategy for a few hands and get opinions on these.

(1) AK, AQ - Raise and reraise preflop. If a K or A does not fall on the river, continuation bet assuming it's 1-2 opponents in the hand and the board does not look co-ordinated.

(2)KK,QQ,JJ - Raise and reraise preflop. Should an overcard fall, check-call until the river.

(3)Suited connectors in late position - Raise if there have been serveral limpers. This is something I am considering doing. Reasoning : Fattens the pot, gives me good odds postflop, disguises my hand to an extent.

I apologize if most of this is standard play. Thought this would be a good way to get started. I plan on posting more specific hands in the coming days.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Are any(or all) of these plays chip spewing?

You can't standardize plays like this. Each hand is situation dependent. Just post specific hands and include reads and table conditions so you get good answers.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(2)KK,QQ,JJ - Raise and reraise preflop. Should an overcard fall, check-call until the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Weak-tight! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
(3)Suited connectors in late position - Raise if there have been serveral limpers.

[/ QUOTE ]
LAG! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
This is something I am considering doing. Reasoning : Fattens the pot, gives me good odds postflop, disguises my hand to an extent.

[/ QUOTE ]
If by giving you good odds postflop you are referring to the limpers paying off when you hit because you tied them to an inflated pot - then yes! Good! If you mean that because you put in extra bets PF you now have odds to call post-flop - then NO! BAD!

As far as disguising your hand - there's really nothing to disguise from your average 2/4 player.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:02 PM

Yeah, basically your thread is useless. Your points are, in general, super-standard (except raising suited connectors in LP, which is especially situation dependent). Just post detailed hands (i.e. examples), not this sort of fluff.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:06 PM

Will do.

thanks.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your points are, in general, super-standard (except raising suited connectors in LP, which is especially situation dependent).

[/ QUOTE ]
I really hope you don't think that check/calling down KK-JJ when an over card hits the flop is "super-standard".
Old 07-18-2005, 03:10 PM

I realize that that's probably not the best play. I take notes on opponents that I have been involved in pots with before. I think without a read probably folding is better.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:11 PM

Welcome to the forums! I actually have 50 hands on you at 2/4.

Here is what I see:

You are way too loose. You're playing more than 40% of your hands and need to cut that in half.

You are passive postflop (especially on 3rd st). You need to find more raises and bet-out more instead of check-calling.

The good news is that you raise preflop more than 6% of the time. That could be higher, but at least you're raising the stakes with your good starting hands.

[ QUOTE ]
(1) AK, AQ - Raise and reraise preflop. If a K or A does not fall on the river, continuation bet assuming it's 1-2 opponents in the hand and the board does not look co-ordinated.

[/ QUOTE ]
AQ is a trouble hand--watch out. Rarely cold-call with a hand like AQ, and I see that you cold called with A5s, which is a serious no-no. If you raise AQo and are 3 bet, you're probably better off just calling unless the reraiser is overly aggressive.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You should still be betting if an overcard falls. Check-calling is terrible and gives your opponent too many chances to draw out. Bet until you are raised or are shown good reason to slow down.

[ QUOTE ]
(3)Suited connectors in late position - Raise if there have been serveral limpers. This is something I am considering doing. Reasoning : Fattens the pot, gives me good odds postflop, disguises my hand to an extent.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just limp with these unless they are bigger suited-connectors. With a hand like 76s you want to see the flop for the minimum.

Anyway, I highly suggest that you drop down in limits. Your playing style is far from optimal, and you need to learn the basics before you play 2/4. Start with .5/1 and take it from there.

Anyway, please don't take any offense, and again, welcome to the forums. Now that you're here we can help you turn into a winning player.

p.s. check out the micro-limit forum.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:12 PM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

[ QUOTE ]
I realize that that's probably not the best play. I take notes on opponents that I have been involved in pots with before. I think without a read probably folding is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

??????????????????????
Old 07-18-2005, 03:14 PM

Hello?!?!

This guy is brand new here, lighten up everyone. Also, a
"Welcome to the forums" is nice to see.