Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

View Poll Results: Best volume of Poker Essays is...
Poker Essays 5 23.81%
Poker Essays II 1 4.76%
Poker Essays III 15 71.43%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2004, 07:46 PM

Default Why re-buy?

Hello all,

I have always wondered what exactly some people are thinking in re-buy games when they make the decision to re-buy. I understand that different circumstances dictate this action for most. Any way I put together a poll for the factor that generally weighs most heavily in your decision to re-buy.

You may pick 2 answers in poll if you choose.

Example for question #5 : $10 game 100 entry’s + 150 re-buy + 50 add on = $30 average buy in. Say you only re-buy if you know a $20 investment will represent less then 70% of average buy in.

Also any comments on re-buy habits would be apreciated. I hope the poll will be of some value.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Why re-buy?

if you dont rebuy/addon whenever you can you lose ev period
Old 06-29-2004, 09:10 PM

I always rebuy first when i can and i add on also. What i don't do is something stupid. Like rebuy and go all in with stupid hands just to double up. Yeah EV. Say you start off with 1500 in chips. If u get a great hand like some type of pockets or have an inferior player. They call you only get 3000 in chips.. Now if u did a rebuy and had 3000 in chips and they had the same amount also u now have 6000 in chips.
3000 in chips versus 6000 in chips... Do the math.The extra 3000 in chips will carry u a long way. Especially if u suffer a bad beat or two.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:54 PM

To paraphrase the Fossilman, if you're not willing to take every single rebuy and add-on that the rules allow, don't play in the tournament.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:04 AM

He says that if you are better than the field, then you should take every rebuy and add on that you can until you have something like 10% of the chips in play (in a 100 person tourney). So, basically, if you rebuy and add on every time, you wouldn't be too wrong.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:23 AM

I'm playing in my first Live MTT July 9-11. It's $80 buy-in and $50 rebuy (unlimited for the first 90minutes). So should I rebuy as soon as I sit down? There is a $50 add on at 90 minutes as well. I assume I should buy that even if I have a large chip lead at my table?
Please feel free to critique my ignorence. Like I said this will be my first MTT. 1st place gets $12,250 and top 10 spots pay. hould be about 800 to 1000 players.
Any other advice on play style ie. tight, loose, get an early chip lead, whatever is also appreciated.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:31 AM

why rebuy if there is a lot of dead money to double/triple u through the 1st hour. THen addon in the end if you think it will help. Right? Wrong?
Old 06-30-2004, 10:36 AM

Wrong. Always rebuy at the beginning and always add-on. Why? Because Greg Raymer says so and he'll explain it better than I ever could. So, look some of his threads in the archive- just search for greg (fossilman).
Old 06-30-2004, 11:17 AM

rebuying at the beginning is just a no-brainer, even if nobody else at your table does it.

Scenario. Only you rebuy. 1st hand 2 go all-in, one doubles up. next hand, you get AA and the guy who just doubled up gets KK and pushes in.

Question: Holding AA in this situation and assuming the initial buy-in got you 1,500 chips wouldn't you rather have 3,000 chips and be able to double up to 6,000?
Old 06-30-2004, 11:24 AM

Let's say you are playing a $10+1 rebuy where you start with 1500 chips. Now presumably you think spending $11 to enter this tournament is a good investment, or you wouldn't be playing. So spending $10 to get 1500 chips must be a good investment too. And spending $10 for a 2000-chip addon is a real no-brainer.

This logic ceases to hold true if you manage to accumulate a large percentage of the chips in play, because the additional chips are worth less to you at that point. But when you're just one stack out of a great many, your EV is exactly proportional to your stack size for all intents and purposes. So, as long as you're better than the field, you should be glad for any opportunity to buy additional chips at the original price.