Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 10-17-2005, 02:21 AM

Default Bet or check?

Canterbury 30/60 9 handed

BB here is kinda tight. He also told me that he thinks bicyclekick is a dick, which is neither here nor there but i find it hilarious. he asked me if we were friends, i said "yes" and then he proceeds to tell me that BK is a dick. priceless. anyway, I open in MP with QJo. folds to BB who calls.

Flop HU: T63r
check, I bet, he calls.

Turn: 8

he checks, I........
Old 10-17-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: Bet or check?

easy check

tight player, which means if he's calling out of the bb and then calling your flop bet he probably has a piece. just check and try to hit one of your 10 outs for free
Old 10-17-2005, 03:54 AM

Check, catch a 9 on the river, and watch him tell BK that you're a dick the next time he sees him. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2005, 03:59 AM

I vote for check because I think you are behind here. You are either beaten by a flopped pair (probably not top pair though), or are beat by better overcards (A high).

There was no flush draw for opponent to chase, and one of the straight draws just hit too. You may have up to 10 outs, and you really don't want to have to call a checkraise with that hand. I'd say check and raise any river bet if you improve.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:58 AM

If he's kind of tight, he's probably not just peeling the flop with overcards intending to fold to a turn bet. I'd take the free card every time.

good luck.
eric
Old 10-17-2005, 12:02 PM

Wow I advocated bet at the table to bob. Hmmm.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:14 PM

I bet all three streets here and don't give it a second thought.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:28 PM

You have a gutter, overcards and the possibility he will fold. Where's the dilemma? Bet it.

Jeff
Old 10-17-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have a gutter, overcards and the possibility he will fold. Where's the dilemma? Bet it.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

I can dig this almost all of the time but with this particular board, what hands could the BB have called on the flop?
Old 10-17-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Canterbury 30/60 9 handed

BB here is kinda tight. He also told me that he thinks bicyclekick is a dick, which is neither here nor there but i find it hilarious. he asked me if we were friends, i said "yes" and then he proceeds to tell me that BK is a dick. priceless. anyway, I open in MP with QJo. folds to BB who calls.

Flop HU: T63r
check, I bet, he calls.

Turn: 8

he checks, I........

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I think you're getting mostly "check" responses because of the uncoordinated, rainbow board. But let's break it down:

you have a fairly tight player in the BB who has decided to defend against a MP raiser. He's got to give you credit for a a halfway decent hand and not just a steal attempt, right?

what are his range of hands here? 66-99, most broadway pairings...maybe T9s....

You're most likely behind once he calls your flop bet. But his action smells like 2 overs and not a PP or TP...if he had either, wouldn't he either put you to the test by leading out the flop or CR you on what is certainly a favorable flop for him?

He's got 2 overs or he flopped a monster. By checking behind on the turn, you may hit your Q or J on the river and still end up paying off 2 bets to him. By betting the turn, he will most-likely define his hand for you and you'll know better where you are - plus, he'll most likely just fold the small pot.

Bet the turn!

If he CRs you, is he the type of player to make this move with 2 overs? If so, I'm either 3-betting or folding. If not, you can safely fold, knowing you're beat. I know you hate to fold here given your outs, but you have to think you're only drawing live to your gutter...

I'd appreciate any comments regarding my on-the-fly analysis!

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]