Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 08-30-2005, 04:27 PM

Default confused at the river . . . tpgk

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

I didn't raise pf because I'm not suited and don't think I'm folding anyone, should I raise for value here?

Flop: (5 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (7 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks.

River: (7 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, SB calls.

Figured he was bettin' a flush draws on the flop after he checked the turn and river . . . do you figure the same and bet?
Final Pot: 10 BB
Old 08-30-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: confused at the river . . . tpgk

I'd raise the preflop, but I'm not gonna bite your head off for not doing so in the BB if you're not comfortable with it.

I think that having not raised, a flop cap is debatable and varies with the read. I would definitely bet the edit: turn despite the risk of a stupid check-raise; the board is way too drawy to risk giving a free card with what is still likely the best hand.

The way it played out, river is a must-bet.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:38 PM

My thoughts...

preflop: On a typical Party 0.5/1 table, this is an easy value raise.

flop: I'm not sure here. Is it two-pair, straight (J9), straight draw..?? Reads would help. I think the call is OK, but I'm not sure what to do if we get bet into on a blank turn.

turn: Hmmm... This seems like a straight-forward bet. Am I missing something? SB has now checked with an A on the board, and we've picked up a GSD. It certainly lookse like a flush draw. By the way, if you think he/she was on a flush draw, why did you give the free card?

river: This plays differently if you bet the turn, but that's a lot of possible straights out there. (Jx, KJ, 76) A read on MP1 would help. It's hard to say what I'd do, because I don't know if anyone called my bet on the turn.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:51 PM

I thought two pair on the flop, started to think flush draw on the turn, thought flush draw on the river.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought two pair on the flop, started to think flush draw on the turn, thought flush draw on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why bet vs. a busted flush draw on the river?
Old 08-30-2005, 05:01 PM

So say I raise pf, everybody calls, the sb 3bets me on the flop. . . would you cap the flop? If you capped what's your line on the turn when he checks. Betting seems spewy no?

Say we do bet the turn after sb checks and he calls. Do you bet the river after he checks?
Old 08-30-2005, 05:04 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Point Numeri
Old 08-30-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So say I raise pf, everybody calls, the sb 3bets me on the flop. . . would you cap the flop? If you capped what's your line on the turn when he checks. Betting seems spewy no?

[/ QUOTE ]
If we're going to cap the flop, we need to bet the turn when checked to. I think I just call the flop 3-bet, but I've been called a weak-tighty before on this board. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Say we do bet the turn after sb checks and he calls. Do you bet the river after he checks?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's tough, because MP1 is also in the hand. He could have a weak A, but not want to get aggressive vs the PFR. I probably bet again, but I wouldn't blame you if you check/call.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Point Numeri

[/ QUOTE ]
Woo-hoo! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2005, 05:13 PM

I think you're considering too many possible different actions at once. Raising PF is okay but if you're not comfortable playing KQo OOP then, you're really not leaving as much on the table compared to if you had KQs, for example, which you should raise there.

Just looking at how it's played, if you really think SB is on a flush draw, betting the turn is better than the river, as he is going to call when he's drawing but more likely to fold when his draw is busted. I would expect SB to play some TPDK hands and ragged 2 pair the same way however, so I'm not certain it's only a flush draw he'd play this way.