Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games

Old 01-07-2003, 09:57 PM

Default Need simulations help

I am attempting to run some simulations of various high hands in Omaha 8. One problem I've had is setting the profile for the player who will be dealt the hand to be run in the simulation. For example if I use an entire table of the C. Chan, tight aggressive, profile this profile will fold a hand like AQsJ9s but call a hand like AQsJTs. Consequently when I run a 500000 hand simulation on both hands the first one loses big and the second wins even bigger. Is the answer just to use a profile that always calls the hand I'm testing or am just way off base with this whole approach to running the simulations? Any help is much appreciated.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Need simulations help

You are only using the Chans lineup? That's an awfully tight lineup. I use it sometimes, along with various other lineups just to compare results.

You can set a profile to always see the flop. Open up the profile, and click general rules, then check always see the flop, then save it under a new name like "Chanflopper", no wait, you can't use that, I already did. You could figure out the point count that Chan uses, then go into point counts, lower the intial calling points requirement, save it under a new name as a new point count, then go into Chan's profile, and change the point count method to the custom one that you just created, or even easier, just use a looser point count, it will only change the opening requirements and will play the rest of the hand normally. If you change the profile, make sure to also set the advisor to manual and use the new altered profile, as well as putting the new profile in the number 10 seat (or I suppose you could just put it in another seat, then you won't have to change the advisor setting). Make sure to save your new lineup under a new name, and save the new profile under a new name.

Are you way off base? It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. There are many ways to do it.

Does this answer your question?

Don
Old 01-08-2003, 01:49 AM

If you're doing this to check against Bill Boston's work, then I really doubt he was using the Chans to begin with. It is possible, but it seems rather silly to base his hand values on that. He did specify tight, but that lineup is way tighter than anything you would likely be playing against (except in unusual circumstances). I can't imagine why he would base an entire book on that lineup, I would guess Tight 2, but I'm not sure.

Don
Old 01-08-2003, 02:06 AM

That is very helpful, thank you Don.