Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 05-12-2005, 02:21 AM

Default KQo, Party 3/6

I raise UTG with Kc Qd.
One limper Mid pos. He sees 50% of flops, never raises. Short stacked too.
Flop is Ac, Tc, Ks
I bet he calls.
Turn is a Td. I bet he calls.
River is a Th, I check. He bets. I call.
Standard here too?
Thanks all.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:35 AM

Default Re: KQo, Party 3/6

hand converter

I bet the river. If you're gonna check/call you might as well bet. It doesn't look like he's gonna raise you, so a bet gets you more when you're ahead, and costs you the same when you're behind.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:38 AM

River is close. A bet picks up money from all pocket pairs, maybe even queen high. A check lets a short-stacked opponent bluff his missed flush / straight draw in a desperate attempt to take it down. I'm torn.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 05-12-2005, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
River is close. A bet picks up money from all pocket pairs, maybe even queen high. A check lets a short-stacked opponent bluff his missed flush / straight draw in a desperate attempt to take it down. I'm torn.

Good luck.
Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to try to induce bluffs against the more aggressive players (who also are more inclined to raise my river bet). I just bet out against a passive player like this.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:11 AM

What if you're raised on the river? I'm torn between a call or fold...I would fold if any passive mofo raises that river, but if he is short stacked, he might be doing that "whatever" thing
Old 05-12-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What if you're raised on the river? I'm torn between a call or fold...I would fold if any passive mofo raises that river, but if he is short stacked, he might be doing that "whatever" thing

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends how short stacked. I really don't expect a raise on this river ever from a passive player, but if the read's strong I fold.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hand converter

so a bet gets you more when you're ahead, and costs you the same when you're behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never thought about it like this, makes total sense against a passive player, Thanks for all of your input.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tend to try to induce bluffs against the more aggressive players (who also are more inclined to raise my river bet). I just bet out against a passive player like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great advice. I think the "short-stacked" nature of this opponent is a mitigating factor though. I find that short-stacked players often play like idiots. They just tend to be on tilt racking off all the time, which might override their typical passive nature.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 05-12-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In general I agree with the principal of checking to aggressive players in order to let busted draws bluff. However, it's very tough to put villan on a draw here. The A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] are on the board, the K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is in your hand, and Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is a made straight for villan. Meanwhile, he called two bets cold pre-flop. What suited-club hands could make that play with out the A, K, or T (and not QJ?). Q9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or J9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]? Certainly possible, but not especially likely (even for a donk like villan).

Given his play, I'd have put villan on a medium pocket pair and bet the river for value.