Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-03-2005, 06:44 PM

Default Reraising with trash as Big Stack on the bubble

A couple situations I've had come up recently... sorry I don't have the exact hand histories on this comp... these are $50+5's...

#1: Blinds 200/400
UTG: 1850
Button: 50 (yes, 50)
SB: 1100
BB: 7000 (ME)

Button in this hand has just folded his BB and SB and clearly is trying to back his way into the money. UTG has been pretty aggressive but I won a nice pot off him earlier to take a commanding lead and I've been pushing my big stack around.

I'm dealt 32s in BB and UTG raises to 900 (half his stack)... I decide to push figuring he can only really call with AA or KK given the Button's tiny stack. He quickly called with 88 and I proceeded to river a straight to bust him in 4th. He of course was very upset that I had made that play...

#2: Blinds 200/400
UTG: 750
Button: 1750
SB: 2750
BB: 4250 (ME)

Again I had been bullying the table, and this hand I made a similar reraise push on the SB's minraise with Q3o. In this hand I face much more risk if called, but again my thinking was that SB would need to have a premium holding to call me. He in fact quickly called with A6o [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] and won the hand.

Is my thinking correct that villain should fold all but premium holdings in these spots or should I just concede the BB and continue stealing on the next hand?

I know if the roles were reversed I'd be turbofolding 88 or A6o... Is this too aggressive or are my opponents just idiots?