Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 08-26-2004, 02:46 PM

Default Floped set of 9s w/ preflop limp reraise

Ok, button is a fairly tight player: vpip of ~13%, pfr ~5-6%. No reads on BB

Absolute Poker 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds.

Turn: (6 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls.

River: (12.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 14.75 BB

My questions are: Should I have raised the flop with my set? Typically with more people I always play sets fast, however in this case I decided to do the old smooth call then light up the turn since there were only 2 opponetns.

Also, the limp-reraise by the button smells of AA, KK, or maybe QQ. Do I slow down on the turn because of this? Obviously I'm only behind to QQ and KK, but the button must have thought there was a good chance I had Ax and maybe would not have 3-bet me with QQ or KK on the turn. I'm never worried about set over set and only slow down with them when a flush hits the board, but the limp reraise had me freaked out.

Should I have bet out on the river or check-called? If I would've been raised on the river do I 3-bet?

Any comments are appreciated
Old 08-26-2004, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Floped set of 9s w/ preflop limp reraise

N/M... missed that it was 3-bet... late for a meeting.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:00 PM

Looks fine to me...A set of aces isn't slowing down on the river, unless he is super weak......I like your flop play here, this board isn't too scary to me....If you ARE raised on the river here, I'd just be calling, can't see anything he would be raising with that you beat
Old 08-26-2004, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously I'm only behind to QQ and KK

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm missing something here. Why are you behind to QQ or KK?
Old 08-26-2004, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm missing something here. Why are you behind to QQ or KK?

[/ QUOTE ]

Typo, I meant that I am obviously not behind KK or QQ. Sorry
Old 08-26-2004, 03:41 PM

I would just bet on the flop instead of check-call. I think betting the river here is better than check-calling also.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:45 PM

Think I would have bet the flop, 3bet if BB called and Button raised. If BB folded and Button raised, then I just call, CR turn and cap if he 3bet.
If he then raise me on the river, I think he will have AA more than 34%, so I just call.