Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 07-09-2004, 03:22 PM

Default Poker adds on TV

So I was watching the Tour de France and saw some Party Poker adds. I haven't watched the past few WPT's--is poker adverstising back on or is OLN so small that the Justice Department just forgot to intimidate them?

--Zetack
Old 07-09-2004, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Poker adds on TV

Rumor has it they're going for broke before Ashcroft suspends habeas corpus on offshore gambling advertisers.

Seriously, good question. I saw the ".com" adds on some other cable channel, too. I think it was SciFi.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Poker adds on TV: possible $25 bounty for leads

Truepoker will comp $25 to the first person (with a Truepoker account) who sends an email to marketing@truepoker.com with a verifiable sighting of gaming ads on a given cable network or other television market.

(Only the first such person gets the bounty for a given network or broadcaster, if we read it here first, no one gets paid by us.)

Please give a date, approx time, city, and network. If possible, also the cable provider.

We are looking for leads on actual online poker GAMING ads, not poker school ads or TheWiseguys video ads.

This offer is NOT limited to the US, we want to build our book of outlets in Europe as well. However, we do reserve the right to end it at any time and it IS void where prohibited by actual law.)

As long as it stays worthwhile in our sole discretion, we will hold the offer open.

Truepoker Management
Old 07-11-2004, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
or TheWiseguys video ads

[/ QUOTE ]
LMAO!

I heard a commercial for FullTilt on the radio this afternoon, they were supporting a petition to make poker an olympic sport, anyone else hear this?

tobdog
Old 07-12-2004, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Truepoker will comp $25 to the first person (with a Truepoker account) who sends an email to marketing@truepoker.com with a verifiable sighting of gaming ads on a given cable network or other television market.

(Only the first such person gets the bounty for a given network or broadcaster, if we read it here first, no one gets paid by us.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Who knew by posting an observation here I could cost myself 25 bucks...oh well, I'll just have to go back to panhandling on streetcorners...

--Zetack
Old 07-12-2004, 12:25 AM

Nah, I'll comp you. Just PM me your player name at Truepoker.

Truepoker CEO
Old 07-12-2004, 02:48 AM

i saw a spot for partypoker.NET yesterday evening on MSNBC about 6:00pm-ish i think.

i have seen several partypoker.NET ads run on MSNBC and CNBC and several others on these forums have posted the same. there have been many threads on this topic in various forums.

i also saw a partypoker.net ad run on the Fox Network in the 7th inning of their major-league baseball telecast of Atlanta vs. Philly. this was their 'B' game so was probably only being show in 20-30% of the US markets. someone else from philly reported seeing the same ad on these forums.
this happened about a month ago but i thought it was hugely significant because it was the first time i know of anyone having reported a poker-ad on a major network such as Fox (please note...this was not Fox-Sports Net or some other cable channel...this was on the Fox Game of the Week).

others have reported seeing them during MLB telecasts in various markets including San Diego and Detroit among others.
as well as on Fox-News.
others have reported seeing them on the Game-Show Network...and i'm pretty sure ads for royal vegas have aired on that channel as well.

it's important to note that these ads are for partypoker.NET (as opposed to dot-COM).
dot-NET is a play-money site only....and in the ads they make no mention of playing for real money (most of the ads for various sites that ran during the WPT last year included info of winning REAL money).
the dot-NET ads just go into detail about how you can 'LEARN to play like the pros'. learn how to play Hold-em, omaha, stud, etc etc. again...no REAL money is mentioned which is their creative way of staying on the legal side of this issue.

obviously, party is hoping some of the folks who see the ads will 'accidentally' go to dot-COM instead. and those who start hitting the play-money tables on dot-NET are obviously going to receive advertising for the dot-com site.

i'm not sure why TPCEO would want to offer $25 for a siting of these. my dad watches CNBC all the time and says he was seeing them about every day for awhile in there.
i'm curious if there are plans to try to tattle on party to the DOJ or FCC or something like that.

CNBC and MSNBC are going to be airing a lot of their olympics coverage. it will be interesting to see if the partypoker ads run during that time
Old 07-12-2004, 12:05 PM

On a sort of related topic, I saw a partypoker.com ad on the elevator channel (tv screen in the elevator with news and ads) this morning. I'm not sure how effective that's going to be.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:39 PM

interesting....i assume is was dot-COM and not dot-NET.

since you work in a building that has an elevator TV-screen this would appear to go along with the strategy i have perceived that they are trying to go where the money is.

CNBC and MSNBC and Fox-News all have programming that appeal to a more affluent crowd. not too many minimum-wage workers watching CNBC.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:16 PM

It was a .com ad, I made sure to double check.