Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2004, 07:49 AM

Default Question for people who keep track of their rakes

How much per hour at different limits do we pay in rake per hour on average? Has anyone figured out what it comes to?
Old 07-01-2004, 08:01 AM

Default Re: Question for people who keep track of their rakes

The answer will depend on many factors.
The limit you play, hands per hour, the rake at the site you play at (They are different you know), any rakeback you are getting, number of tables.

A general answer is 6-8$ an hour.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:54 AM

If you don't already know, the amount would make you sick to your stomach. No sarcasm intended - the rake is brutal!

It is not unusual for a middle limit online pro to pay between $4-6K in rake at the end of the month.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:16 AM

So from the two responses I got, it comes out to around 6-8 dollars per hour. I assume then that means 6-8 dollars per table played at. If you played 4 tables simultaneously, then it would be 24-32 dollars per hour? That's the only way I can match up the total of $4-$6k per month given by response #2.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:38 AM

Take a table 10 handed, 60 hands an hour, 1.50 rake per hand, thats 15c per player, thats 9$ an hour rake, however not every hand is raked maybe 2/3 so thats 6$ an hour, now shorthanded it might be even more as number of hands per hour easily surpasses 100.

And playing 4 tables paying lets say 25$in rake per hour, 8 hours a day is 200$ times 30 days is 6000$

Very few play that much, as 4 tables for such a long time will give most people epileptic spasms, however it is possible.

ToT
Old 07-01-2004, 09:49 AM

OK, Pokertracker tracks the win rates of every player at all the tables you've played at. It sums the winnings/losses of all players at the bottom of the page, along with the equivalent BB/100.

For the Party 1/2 6max game, the average player LOSES 4.4BB per 100 hands. In other words, the rake for the average player in this game is $8.8/100 hands.

This number will be higher if you play more hands (win more pots) and lower if you play tighter (win fewer hands).
Old 07-01-2004, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, Pokertracker tracks the win rates of every player at all the tables you've played at. It sums the winnings/losses of all players at the bottom of the page, along with the equivalent BB/100.

For the Party 1/2 6max game, the average player LOSES 4.4BB per 100 hands. In other words, the rake for the average player in this game is $8.8/100 hands.

This number will be higher if you play more hands (win more pots) and lower if you play tighter (win fewer hands).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting. So for an average type player who makes a $100 deposit to a site and sits at the 1-2 limit table, he will lose his deposit to rake in 12 hours of play at one table? Without the rake he'd still have his $100?

No wonder so many people make one deposit and never come back. Wouldn't you have to be really really good to be able to win and play for the long term? Considering the contant drain from the rake?
Old 07-01-2004, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't you have to be really really good to be able to win and play for the long term? Considering the contant drain from the rake?

[/ QUOTE ]

You've never seen the average low-limit Party player then.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:29 PM

I'm surprized you haven't gotten more precise answers. It's very simple. Look in your Poker Tracker, look at total rake paid, and divide that by total number of hands played. I only have Party 3-6 and 5-T in my database. I pay $0.10/hand in 3-6 and $0.13/hand in 5-T. I haven't played 15-30, but I think a friend said it was about $0.20/hand. I currently play 4 tables at once and average over 200 hands/hour (dont' have database in front of me to give exact number). That's $20+/hour at 3-6, for instance--over 3BB/hour. I don't know what the averages are at lower limits, but, relatively, it must be brutal.

side note: I gather from posts here that party computes rake in a different way than PT does. PT does the obvious thing, it counts the rake taken from the pots that you drag. If you don't win any hands, you don't pay any rake. Apparently Party credits rake based on participation in raked pots. I'm not sure, but I guess the way they do it is, if 5 people see the flop, each one is considered to have contributed one-fifth of the rake. It makes sense in a way, since as the pot progresses the money that is dropped is taken out of everyone's collective contribution. But of course, it makes much more sense to attribute the rake to the person that won the pot--it's the money they rightly won that pays the rake, entirely. I'm not sure how this difference impacts average rake calculations.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:35 PM

PS Average rake will vary with how you play. Loose losing players win more pots (because they play more hands and chase more--a winning player on a 9-10 person table wins something like 7-8% of hands, ie less than an "equal" share). So those losing players get raked more often. I guess it follows that a players rake will be proportionately higher to the number of hands won. So if you are winning say 8% of hands on a 10-person table, then someone is winning more than 10% of pots. someone who won 12% of hands would pay 50% more rake than you do--$0.15/hand at 3-6.