Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2004, 08:40 PM

Default help wanted: strategy/guidelines for re-buys

I am sure this is the first time this question has been asked.......be kind.
I play almost exclusively single table SNG's. Occasionally I venture into a tourney. I usually rebuy right off in case I get all in with someone who has also rebought. I would prefer to get more than 1/2 his stack.
My first thought is that too many rebuys is not sound strategy, or everyone would be doing it...
I would appreciate hearing from someone who has thought this through further than I have.

hyde
Old 06-28-2004, 09:02 PM

Default Re: help wanted: strategy/guidelines for re-buys

It's important that you're bankrolled to play such tournaments. If you've got a $150 bankroll and you're playing in the stars $11+R, you're in big trouble. You won't be agressive as you need to be. When I play the rebuy tournaments I don't hesitate to shove in when I think I've got the best hand, because during the rebuy period more often than not you'll be called. It's also wise to shove in when you have a powerful draw, because to compete after the rebuy period it's essential to have a stack 10 or 15x bigger than the buyin, because the guy to your left with 30k against your 4.5k will bully you around all day long.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:40 AM

Default Re: help wanted: strategy/guidelines for re-buys

Well the question is do u want to spend more than u can afford. I've seen people rebuy 15 times and for what? He gave all the chips to one guy. There is always a guy who seems to get card rush early on. And there is always that one guy who give him all the chips. Sometimes you may double up, but many times you will give all your chips to someone else. His stack will be bigger than yours. And you will have to compete with him even when the rebuy period is over unless you or he changes table. That may take awhile.
I was playing a PS satelite. As soon as the rebuy period was over i was changed to another table. I look to the left of me and I see 2 huge stacks. I look at the stats and they are the 1st and 3rd largest stack in the whole tournament. I look at how people are playing and I see who was giving them all the chips. It was one girl and yes she did double up, but she lost it again. So what was the point of doubling up? If you have doubled then you have just quadrupled someone. I'm not saying to not push hard when you have a hand, but to go all in with mediocre hands just to get a big lead in the rebuy period is dumb. Remember that when the rebuy period is over you are still competing with same people. You want to be like the two guys getting all the chips not throwing it away like the girl was.