Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2004, 05:34 PM

Default Chock full o\' mistakes - K9s

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Player reads: BB = passive - never once raised p/f (including the time he had jj in a 3 or 4 way pot)/decent hand selection; utg = solid; utg+1 = avg and short stacked; utg+2 = unremarkable; co = a little loose/not particularly aggressive

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Hero calls, SB folds, BB checks.

I thought about raising p/f, and think that would have been the better play. Anyone disagree? Anyone not play it at all?

Flop: (6.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds.

I was swearing at myself a nanosecond after my finger left the mouse button. With 2 people trapped besides the raiser, I'm thinking that it makes no appreciable difference to the chances of the other 2 cold-calling 2 or 3 bets. Would 3-betting the people already in make it less likely that one or both would call? After a p/f raise, I'd raise 100% of the time... is the pot big enough to make winning it rather than building it my primary focus?

Turn: (6.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds.

I was thinking that utg+1 would come along to the river if I just called, so this time I at least had a reason for not raising. Whether it's a good one...

River: (8.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Anyone raise this river?

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

Thanks all.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Chock full o\' mistakes - K9s

Raising is probably a marginally better play than calling on the button but even so I usually call as well.

I think raising the flop is probably better than calling as well since its for value, it may clean up your K or even 9 outs, it likely gets you a free river card, the 2 players behind may well fold for 1 bet anyway.

I would call on the turn since for some reason I think CO has a 2 pair of like 78 or better and I don't want to be 3 bet on the turn while drawing, especially when UTG1 may call anyway.

Gotta call the river.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:55 PM

I was thinking 2 pair "for some reason" too. This influenced my turn play for sure, but I have an awful lot of outs here, non?
Old 06-23-2004, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I have an awful lot of outs here, non?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure you have a lot of outs but the presence of a player behind who will likely overcall (even though he didn't) is what makes the check a better play IMO. CO is obviously going nowhere (if he does you had him beat anyway) and being 3 bet by a set would be pretty bad here.

Do you have your chat on when you play detrunc? I said whats up to you last time I saw you on and you didn't reply.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:19 PM

Preflop: Ehhh KTs I definitly raise.

Flop: 3-bet this, at worst you probably buy yourself a free card.

Turn: See above answer [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2004, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you have your chat on when you play detrunc? I said whats up to you last time I saw you on and you didn't reply.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apologies. Don't remember seeing the post, but a belated 'hi' right back at you. I usually pay attention to what's being said, though initiating/responding partially, fully, or not at all to idle 'nh' type stuff is sort of a table to table decision.

As far as algebra types go... I didn't know the proper etiquette, so I defaulted to not saying anything that would indicate familiarity. In any case, I look forward to sitting with you again sometime.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure you have a lot of outs but the presence of a player behind who will likely overcall (even though he didn't) is what makes the check a better play IMO. CO is obviously going nowhere (if he does you had him beat anyway) and being 3 bet by a set would be pretty bad here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Those are a lot of the reasons behind my call. Especially the possibility of the overcall, as I mentioned in the original post. I just play drawing hands badly sometimes, and wondered if I was missing something.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Ehhh KTs I definitly raise.

Flop: 3-bet this, at worst you probably buy yourself a free card.

Turn: See above answer [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly how I would have played it had it been raised p/f. I agree that I should have raised the flop, but I'm not sure about the turn. Given the possibility of 1BB each from two people vs 2BB from one, and adding the possibility of being 3 bet (which I'm not sure I mind so much, but probably means that I need to hit my flush), is calling a much worse decision in your mind, or just a little worse?
Old 06-24-2004, 03:37 AM

Call on the button and 3-bet this flop. K9s is kind of marginal. But you hvae a monster flop for your hand, 2 overs, flush draw, backdoor straight draw. It doesnt get much better for K9s.
Calling the turn seems kind of weak if you are against the sort that will pay off if you raise. You are generally ahead here, however the K and the 9 are why I would have 3-bet the flop to begin with, so the decision would have been a lot different.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:36 PM

Default Results

CO shows Qh 7h (one pair, sevens).
Hero shows 9h Kh (one pair, kings).
Outcome: Hero wins 10.75 BB.