Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2004, 03:23 PM

Default Canterbury Club

I'm planning on making a trip to canterbury this weekend. I've been there once before and played 2/4 and noticed that it played a lot like .50/1 on party poker. I was just wondering how 4/8 played there? I'm sure it's not as soft, but can anyone make a comparison or give any advice?
Old 06-23-2004, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Canterbury Club

It depends. The games are going to be loose (4-5 to the flop). The tables are usually either very passive or very agressive after the flop. There are usually at least 4-5 games going so you can always get your table changed. They are beatable. Play tight upfront. You will probably get the chance to play alot of hands from late position.

The 4-8 game is definiterly a better choice than 2-4 because of the rake. Stay away from the 3-6; it is the tightest and most passive game in the building.

It should not take long to get on a table. Since the jackpot hit 4 times last week (three times for over 100k) it will not be as busy.

There is live racing Saturday and Sunday afternoon so it might be a little busy right around noon or 1pm.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:25 PM

I have not played 3/6 in a long time there, but I hardly remember it being tight.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:24 PM

I think the major differences will be that the game might not be quite so deathly slow, and the rake will be marginally less horrendous. Seriously, there isn't that much difference among the various limits there. $30/60 is occasionally tough, or mysterious forces may conspire to create a tight $8/16 table, but your $4/8 game should be pretty easy. If it isn't, you'll have several games to choose from. I wouldn't suggest that you play above your comfort level, but at $6/12, the rake goes from 10% to 5%, and the players are still pretty bad (especially me).

The jackpot may be smaller, but I would still expect the place to be a zoo. Get there as early as you can, because the waits for the smaller games are usually hideous during the evening on Friday and Saturday.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:45 AM

I played in two 3-6 games in the last month (while waiting for 6-12) and they were ridiciously tight and passive. Average pot was about $15-20. Now that could have had something to do with the jackpot being so big. No raising preflop; hardly ever a bet on the flop and a single turn bet would usually take the pot. Considering the rake I can't see beating that type of game.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:48 AM

I walked in last Thursday at 8:00 and could have had either a 4-8 or 6-12 seat right away. I think there wewre still 3 or 4 tables not in play. That was unusual. Last Sunday I got there at 5:30 and there were at least 6 tables not being used. I think there was assuredly a considerable drop-off from the previous weeks.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have not played 3/6 in a long time there, but I hardly remember it being tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

A friend and I made a trip up to Canterbury last night. We both played 3/6. His table was crazy loose. My table was crazy tight. I'm sure it just depends.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:35 PM

table change to the crazy loose
Old 06-24-2004, 12:56 PM

I've sat in some 4/8 games while waiting for the higher ones, and they seem like the players are a chunck worse then the 6/12 players. Not quite aggressive enough in the right spots. They play a few more hands, too.

I think the 6/12 game is one of the better games to play in in the house.

One thing I think I do more than anyone is table cahnge. The board kinda rolls their eyes when I do it like 5 times in one night, but hey, it's their job. I started given em a buck, too, so they're more friendly now.

Table selection is more important at canterbury then limit selection, I think.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:04 PM

I only plan on playing 2/4 when I go to CC. Are pretty much all of those loose or has anyone experienced a tight one?