Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2004, 04:50 PM

Default Playing a Flopped Set Where Flop is All One Suit

2/4 B&M, a typical California-style game.

I am dealt 77 in MP. I cannot recall whether I raised preflop or not. I have been known to go either way with this hand in this game. In any event, there were five or six in the hand on the flop, where things got interesting.

Flop came K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Gentleman to my immediate right, who was first to act, bet out. He's a solid player, and I put him on the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I rather quickly made it two bets. Only the bettor called. (BTW, I had the 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])

What are the pros and cons of just calling here? I figured only a made flush would call two bets; so at least I'd know where I was at. Your thoughts much appreciated.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Playing a Flopped Set Where Flop is All One Suit

Eh, the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is on the board so you can't have it in your hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

With a bet to my immediate right I just call. A raise is not going to shake anyone with a big diamond so you want to encourage players to stay in, not drive them out. If someone raises behind you then you can 3-bet when it comes back to you.

Lost Wages
Old 06-22-2004, 05:02 PM

Read what you have written before you post it..
Old 06-22-2004, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop came K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Gentleman to my immediate right, who was first to act, bet out. He's a solid player, and I put him on the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I rather quickly made it two bets. Only the bettor called. (BTW, I had the 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

I always like flopping a set on a single suit board when I hold a suited kicker [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2004, 05:44 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

raising is clearly the best option

but I just wanted to point out that it's dangerous to put him on the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the flop. there's plenty more he'd bet than the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

since you wrote that, I want to guess how the hand played out. he had the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. you raised the flop, then another [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] came on the turn. you were mad because you could've not raised the flop and saved some money had you waited and seen the [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] slide off. you lost to his ace-high flush. how's my guess?