Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2004, 04:50 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"
Default Perhaps I should grow a pair?

UTG player has played laggy, I know I know hard to say that in a 6 way game, so let's say he sees half the flops and raises half of those again. Mp is short stacked, and the BB is our loose passive friend of the laggy man. Now as a side note I have not seen UTG cap yet.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: slavic is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="CC3333">slavic 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG caps</font>, MP calls, slavic calls, BB calls.

Flop: (16.40 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="CC3333">slavic raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP calls $4 (All-In), <font color="CC3333">slavic caps</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (13.10 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">slavic bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (15.10 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
UTG checks, slavic checks.

Final Pot: 15.10 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 10.90 BB, between UTG, MP and slavic.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 4.20 BB, between UTG and slavic.</font>
Old 06-18-2004, 05:07 AM

Default Re: Perhaps I should grow a pair?

You are going to lose about .5 BB/100 or more if you can't make value bets as obvious as this one. The dude has Jacks or Tens.
-James
Old 06-18-2004, 08:48 AM

What about aces? What about AK? I would play those hands the same way as UTG did. Why wouldn't you?

Guido
Old 06-18-2004, 01:33 PM

With aces I would have check-raised the turn. With AK I wouldn't have given so much action on the flop.
-James
Old 06-18-2004, 02:02 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

I agree, the preflop cap confused the heck out of me. Jacks or Tens should let go. AK should never give that much action. A set doesn't crap out neither does AA so what the hell could he have?
Old 06-18-2004, 03:43 PM

Jacks or Tens don't let go in this game.
-James
Old 06-18-2004, 04:15 PM

If I was UTG and had AA and was 3 bet by someone who then capped the flop after I had capped preflop, I might stop to think maybe he has QQ but maybe he just has AQ and decide to go into call down mode. In short I don't think you can discount AA in this situation. Everyone is not going to play it the same way.

I won one with AA today on a A22 flop where I led and raised the whole way. The other guy had a flush draw that came in on the turn (which got capped) He said later he didn't think I could have AA because he would have slowplayed AA.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:30 PM

Well you are a decent player. Crappy players give their action on the turn, and don't give up when there is one broadway card on the board. 95% of players are putting in a raise on the turn here and probably not capping the flop.
-James
Old 06-18-2004, 04:36 PM

I think the value bet is good, but I disagree that it's as clear-cut as you make out. A sophomoric player would play a flush draw this way as well, hoping to checkraise the river. Quite a few players would play KK exactly like this. KQs is also a possibility.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:54 PM

i think you played it fine up until the turn bet. who wants to get check/raised there? you would have needed to call the river bet by checking behind on the turn, but not had to risk the possible check/raise.

in other words, rather than grow a pair, if anything, you overplayed your hand.

cheers!