Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2004, 07:04 PM

Default good/shite i don\'t even know anymore

I used to make $200 a week profit on ladbrokes and party poker- 25-50 and 50-1$ blinds no-limit/pot limit. but now that I've got got a new place nearer central london (the worlds second most expensive city) and I've started to budget it into my rent payments i can't stop losing. Anyone else find this? I am sure it's a psychological thing but can't seem to sort myself out. I am probably far to desperate to win big pots and end up losing my stack. also the good players with big stacks ( don't mock me.... I was once like you) seem to beat me every time.

this wasn't the plan.
someone please advise me
Old 06-25-2004, 07:49 PM

Default Re: good/shite i don\'t even know anymore

Forget individual session/day/week results. Poker is streaky; results happen in the long run.

Post some hands you had trouble with, or some statistics from your recent downslide. That's really the only way to figure out what's going on, if anything.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:37 PM

You broke the first rule of gambling. Never bet money you cannot afford to lose. In effect your bankroll is committed to the monthly rent payment.

No one can win at poker according to a schedule. It's not periodic like a salary. That's not the nature of the game. Very few that try can even win at all. The psychological pressure is nearly unbearable and it interferes with play. As you've experienced.

You need to find a way to decouple gambling from your monthly bills. Reduce expenses or increase income from regular sources. Keep an adequate bankroll that is not required for expenses. Withdraw from it when and if you generate an excess. Don't plan on spending your withdrawals until after they happen.

Both your day-to-day life and your amateur poker career are at stake here.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:38 PM

How long had you been winning? How long have you been losing?
Old 06-26-2004, 06:03 AM

Since you did not say how long this pattern has continued, nobody can know whether you are playing more poorly or just running bad.

If you are playing badly, one possibility is that you are playing scared. The money has more meaning to you because you have "budgetted" it and apparently need it to make ends meet. You may therefore lack the detachment that you once had.

Most of us play best in our comfort zone. The money is large enough to interest us, but not so large that we worry too much about it. It sounds like you MAY have made your comfort zone lower because your expenses are higher.

This is ONLY a crude hypothesis. Do NOT take it too seriously. Just consider it as a possibility.

Regards,

Al