Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2004, 07:56 PM

Default night with turnipmonster, hand #3

this one is kind of boring, but it's another mistake I made from my session last night so I'll post it. 5-5 PLH. (I have 1300 and have everyone but the small blind covered)

2 limpers, I knuckle with 25o in the big blind. c'mon, straight!

flop is 256. not too bad. SB checks. what's your move and your plan?

--turnipmonster
Old 06-06-2004, 08:21 PM

Default Re: night with turnipmonster, hand #3

Hey turnip,

Looks like you're well on your way to your own Lexus... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I bet out here nearly 100% of the time. If raised, I call nearly 100% of the time, because I want to make sure the turn doesn't come too ugly before committing a chunk of my stack (with top two, it's different, but with bottom two, getting counterfeited is a b*tch...). If the turn comes off nice, you can either pot it yourself, or check-raise, depending on the aggression level of the opponent. If the action gets too heavy, you can be pretty sure that you're beat on that board...

All a check-raise on the flop does is either let an opponent get away from an inferior holding or let you commit more money than you would like, out of position, not knowing where you stand. Yuck.

It also helps to play against guys who NEVER play 65 or 43, even sooted...

Hope it worked out for you.

ML4L
Old 06-06-2004, 10:14 PM

Default Re: night with turnipmonster, hand #3

danger will robinson.

bet. if you get raised, you gotta play poker. but one thing's for sure: without a hard read i am not committing with bottom two on a straight board. so if you get raised, the last thing you want to do is check-raise the turn. keep the pot small.

matt
Old 06-07-2004, 09:33 AM

Default thoughts/results

I bet the pot, both opponents (1 weak player, and 1 rounderz kid complete with pokerstars hat) call.

the turn is a 7, I check, weak bets, rounderz kid raises and I muck.

unless I hit a 2 or 5 on the turn, I am not going to commit a lot of my stack with this hand. that said, I think I should have checkraised the flop. I probably have the best hand, and I don't want to play against multiple callers who are keeping each other in.

mike's point about being out of position is very valid, but checkraising sometimes helps protect my frequent checks from the blind (i.e. sometimes I will get a free card). whaddya think? still bet the flop? at the time it was an autobet, but I think I should have considered a checkraise.

--turnipmonster
Old 06-07-2004, 09:58 AM

Default Re: thoughts/results

nothing's set in stone in nl. the default is to bet. you want some money in there. you can also check-call. i'm not check-raising with that hand unless i feel it'll drive out some draws and i'm pretty sure i'm not beaten. you have a weak medium hand out of position. key point is not to go broke with it.

matt