Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2004, 08:09 PM

Default Varying raise size - Yes or No?

Friday, I got into a discussion here about varying raise sizes. I was told that doing that gives your opponent too much information about your hand. While I agree with that, at times I think that's exactly the result I want. Case in point, $100 MTT at Ub last night, I get pocket A's on the button. Using the advice I received here (instead of my usual tactics), I raise 3Xbb pre flop. One MP caller. Flop is K 4 7, rainbow. MP bets, I raise to 3X his bet size, and he calls. Turn is a 9. MP checks, I bet 200, MP raises to 400. I call. River is a 2. MP bets all in, I call. He shows K9 for two pair, and I'm crippled.

Normally, I would have raised substantially more on the flop, but chose to try the advice I received here. Did I play it correctly, misunderstand the advice I receieved, or just get unlucky?
Old 06-06-2004, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Varying raise size - Yes or No?

You raise on the flop should be based on how big the pot is...not based on what he is betting. You didn't say how much it was, but I have a feeling it would of been better of being bigger.
Old 06-06-2004, 05:44 AM

Soxfan,

varying your raise sizes is ok if you can put your opponent on a hand and bet as much as you think he will call if you want to call and as little as you think that will be enough to get him out if thatīs what you want.

You should furthermore think of your play after the next card. E.G. if you want to be able to bluff a player out of the pot you should have enough left to be able to do so and therefore might raise a little less before.

Otherwise a standard sized raise might be best most of the times.

Best regards

Martin Aigner
Old 06-06-2004, 02:12 PM

As far as a "standard raise" i think that's more preflop than it is post flop. If you always raise 3x the BB, or reraise to 3x their raise or something standard like that i believe it gives away no info about your hand, then on the flop as mentioned... raise exactly enough to do what you want to do... i.e. get a call, make them fold, etc.
Old 06-06-2004, 05:46 PM

How big was his flop bet?