Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2004, 11:21 PM

Default Killer Poker by John Vorhaus

I bought this book over the weekend, and I have to say it is by far the worst poker book ever written.

In the beginning, it states that it is written for players who "already know the game" and it is designed to help take your game to the next level. But then they are telling me things like "don't play littles" and "don't chase too much" HUH?

I can't go any further with the book. I just cannot read another page. Sorry John, but Killer Poker gets a big fat 0.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Killer Poker by John Vorhaus

I couldn't finish it either.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:25 AM

I read the book last year, and I remember when it got reviewed here alot of people didn't like it as much for the content as his writing style.

One thing that is funny though is I feel that it DOES have some solid info and that people just don't like his delivery. In fact, there is a thread here that sums up alot of the points that Vorhaus covered in his book.

The book got bad reviews, but everyone seems to love this thread!
Old 06-01-2004, 08:30 PM

I only made it through a few chapters before I decided further study of other books I had would be a better use of my time.

I do remember something about little cards being poison, so I made it at least that far.

Strangely, I thought it was going to be very interesting after skimming it and reading the introduction. I have no idea what I was thinking.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:41 PM

Hiya,

With all due respect, I think you guys are missing the point behind the book. Killer poker isn't a strategy book, at least not in the way HPFAP is a strategy book. It's a psychology book and the goal is to change your thinking about poker. When he gives those examples (little card poison, etc) he is not suggesting a strategy that should be used all the time, instead he is suggesting a method to change your mindset.

When someone starts to learn poker they learn how to play their cards. We are taught to raise with big hands and fold the garbage. After a while we might start to introduce some deception into our game, for example slowplaying our monsters. In time we might start to think about what our opponents' are holding and how to play against their hands...

What most of us fail to realize is that there is another side of the game out there that we are missing. We get so caught up in playing XX against YY that we forget to look across the table, consider our opponents, and determine how to beat them rather than their cards. It's this higher level of thinking and gameplay that Killer Poker attempts to display.

The saying goes, "poker is people game played with cards." I never really undestood what that meant until the last couple weeks and my recent reading of Killer Poker. There is another world out there, lurking just below the surface. Until you gain an understanding of this concept you'll never become a great player*. Give the book another chance, if you approach it with the right attitude it might reveal something incredible.

Peace,
J

* - Disclaimer: I do not claim to completely understand this side of poker yet, nor do I claim to be a great player. What I do realize is that this part of the game exists and that this is what poker is all about.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:51 PM

I have both of JV's books, along with all of Sklansky's, S/S, and more. I will say that JV's books don't stand up to re-reading the way Sklansky's do....I'm on my 6th time through TOP.

They're good books for what they are though, and they certainly are written from a different perspective, and in a different style.