Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2004, 08:02 AM

Default Ridiculously Poorly Played Hand

I am getting better but I still can absolutely flub a hand.

Witness:

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 13.25 BB, between Hero and MP1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (13.25 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ad Ac (two pair, aces and sixes).
MP1 shows Kh Kc (two pair, kings and sixes).
Outcome: Hero wins 13.25 BB. </font>

I have no idea why I thought this guy would pound on a best-case pocket sixes from EP but for some reason that flopped pair scared me. I still have a lot to learn about staying focused and sharp at the tables! I can only hope I didn't leave too much coin on the table.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Ridiculously Poorly Played Hand

You postflop play would have been great if you had 3bet the turn.

Just raise preflop, limp-reraising isnt worth it at low limit as most of the games arent aggressive enough.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:43 AM

It is obvious that your opponent did not have a better hand than you, and it was extremely unlikely that he was drawing to a hand which could beat you. Hence, I would have checkraised the turn, but only because I would not have necessarily believed that he would have raised me if I had bet the turn. However, given that you were raised, not reraising was criminal!
Old 05-28-2004, 09:26 AM

Trix, Chess, you guys are so right. I blame the Lakers for distracting me here but really there's no legitimate excuse.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:30 AM

This guy is sooo beat. He clearly has 2 face cards, if he's not wired, then he missed the flop. 2 outs or just plain drawing dead.

Curious what best line to exploit this is.

3-bet the flop? Call and bet into him again on the turn?

When this last happened to me, I was in postion and we capped the flop, I raised the turn, then called his river bet (Jack on the river.) He showed KK.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:51 AM

It's good to post hands like these to reaffirm how badly you screwed you. You just need to make the connection that this guy cap preflop, which means he probably doesn't have a 6 (unless he's a maniac, and that's all the more reason to 3-bet!), so that flop is awesome for you. Given that he capped the preflop you didn't have to tip your hand so I like a check-raise on the turn, but yeah not 3-betting was criminal (I also blame my misfortune on the Lakers).
Old 05-28-2004, 11:01 AM

I know Joe Thrice, somehow this hand got lost in the shuffle too as I didn't realize at the time what a brainless play I made. I was replaying hands later on PT, I will usually replay the decent winners and losers and was going through the WINNERS and came across this LOSER. Go figure.

That's a real nice tat that guy has on your avatar. Very painful too.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:06 AM

What's this about Thrice? You like em too? They are my all time favorite heheh.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:22 AM

Thrice is not bad, I like that they support alot of charities. They've toured with some bands I like alot but I am more old school punk-oriented. But they're from Irvine, which is not far from me and I always support my local Rock and Roll bands.

Now, the Dropkick Murphy's, that's a different story.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:33 AM

You're very lucky that your opponent wasn't too observant. The limp-raise is a pretty reliable sign that the person holds AA or KK. Since HE had KK, that should've put him on his guard. Not only that, you bet into him twice, and he kept raising!

Anyway:
- Raise immediately PF
- 3-bet the turn
- If the turn is capped, checkraise the river

I'm not sure how much you left on the table. A flop 3-bet, which was a good option, might've killed your turn action. You missed a BB on the turn, but that's about it.

eh923